NQR - Do you know about Migraines?

I went to the Dr on Wed and got meds for sinus (I have no symptions of sinus). I also got a shot. It is now Sunday and I still have the stabbing pain above my right eye brow and pressure behind my eye on that side. I looked up sinus migraine and I have the indicators. Now, how long can a migraine last? I can't do anything but sit with a cold pack on my face. I am thinking of going back to the dr. tomorrow if I can get in.

Mine can last for days. I have a med that I take when I feel one coming on. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Dark room. Caffeine. Quiet. I don't know what else to offer except prayers for you and a huge (((((((((hug))))))))) Sylvia. I hope you feel better soon.

Guest Linda S

Sylvia - make sure you are drinking lots of water. Sometimes, when I have a migraine, if I eat anything salty, it makes it ten times worse. Feel like my eyeballs are going to explode. And yes, do go back to see the doctor. I went on Topamax (anti-seizure med) for a couple of years and the headaches just about stopped, but they are starting to come back again.

Sylvia my max is usually 3 days but on the third day it usually so bad that I have to go to the hospital. If you're having lots of storms in the area that could be what is causing it. Did you try a high dose of caffine? Usually that opens things up a little and helps ease the pain. I'd say if it isn't any better tomorrow to go back to the doctors.

Thanks, my good friends. I am almost afraid to type it but my headache may be easing off. I should have gone to the ER yesterday but they are so darned funny about giving pain relievers until it is not good. My Dr. trusts me with meds so I do have narcotics set aside for such things. Right now in am in never-never land with shiny lights around whatever I look at. The headache is still here but just out of reach - about 6 inches from my face. I guess I just didn't know they could last this long I am doing everything you sweethearts have suggested!!! I think I will live! Blessings!

Hi Sylvia, I am sorry you are suffering with this sinus/migrane thing. I have both too. My doctor says they ususally go hand in hand. If you have one type of headach, you will usually have another type too. So with my sinus headaches go migraines. I don't need to tell you they are miserable. Sometimes, even with meds, I just have to go to bed and ride it out. I have also had the shots, they usually put me right out. If it is migrane, you are probably sick to your stomach too...normally. Sinus headaches will give you that pain on one side of your head too, and right behind your eye...but so do migranes. Sounds like you probably have both. What kind of meds did he give you??

Sylvia, I get both very bad sinus headaches and migraines. For the sinus headaches (this is gross) but it works wonderful for me, try a sinus RINSE. I use Neil Med. It gives relief from the pressure right away because you get the stuff out of the sinuses. The migraines, the neurosurgeon recommended to a class I took, lots of fluids, and 400 to 1000mg of Magnesium, and 100 to 150 mg of vitamin B2 every morning. It's more to help prevent than to get rid of. I take them every morning and haven't had a real bad headache (put me in bed kind) in 4 years.

Magnesium and B2 huh? I know the B vits are given for depression and I know depression triggers migraine but I'd never have put that together! I am only on an antibiotic and something to break up the sinus congestion. I really didn't think I had anything wrong with my sinuses until I started taking meds and then they started draining down my throat. Connie, I rinse mine all the time with room temp water and a dash of salt. It is really helpful. This headache was different from any I have ever had. It felt like a knife (a dull one) was being smashed in and out of my right eyebrow. Needless to say I haven't been quilting. Thanks for all the help. MB I am glad to see you posting. I miss you!

Best of luck Sylvia. Aq good neurologist can help if your regular doc can't. My GP couldn't get mine under control --he thought it might be a pinched nerve in my skull! Sent me to a neurologist who felt it was migraines. he put me on propananol and some pain meds so I could sleep.as I'd had a constant headache for over 6 months sometimes mild sometimes severe. No stomach issue but no light tolerance or noise tolerence and was having trouble seeing. I was exhausted from the pain.

After the forever headache eased up he had me keep track of everything whenever one popped up. By everything I mean enviromental, strss issues, what I had eaten when I had eaten, fluids, what I was doing when they flared, the weather, any allergy issues, anything I could think of. We were able to isolate some triggers. After about 2 years he weaned me off the meds. I have a script for an anti inflammatory if one hits really bad but mostly I learned what my triggers were and can usually stop them with aspirin and a cup of coffee. I've only had 2 in the last year that sent me to a dark room and hydrocodone to sleep it off and have only missed one day of work this past year due to a migraine.

Sylvia - If I don't take the magnesium, I'm sure to have a headache by the end of the day. So I just don't miss it. It's like brushing my teeth every morning. magnesium is a muscle relaxer and it really helps me. And those that have chronic problems that I've shared this with and do it say it has helped them too.

Zeke - Rained on and off with a little hail and some thunder thrown in this morning. I spent my afternoon in Woodland where it was just windy and a bit cool. Sprinkled a little on the way home around 6:00. Yes this weather is weird. Feels like winter not spring.

Sylvia, I sure hope you are feeling better. If not, do not put it off-- go to Dr. see about getting a scan to rule out problems and make sure it is a migraine. Be your own advocate and stay on top of this!! I am a retired ER nurse and speak with some experience, please dont let this go. Prayers for you now. Irene

Archived