Quick Question- need some help

Setting up Lenni that just arrived. Which side needs the most room for working? the front where the needle head is( free quilting) or the back ( where pantos are)? Want to put the sidee where I will need the most room for moving around toward the room and the side where I will be least moving around to the wall and window. Please give me your advice and experience.

Well, Sharon, it really depends on which you think you will be doing the most of. I don't use pantos much, because I always find a big mess when I finally look at the quilt :) so, I set mine up with the panto side closest to the wall, and the free hand side to the rest of the room. I guess I was just lucky though, cause I didn't know I wouldn't like pantos until after I started doing them. I still have enough room to do a panto if I choose, but more freedom from the freehand side.

For the panto side, I would say you need enough room to walk back and forth comfortably, for the front you would need a place to put a stool unless you plan to stand up all the time... I have equal space around my machine - not much help but make sure you have enough room on both sides to move back and forth with the machine.

Hi Sharon!

I have the my Lenni set up so i have the most room on the front facing the machine head. The panto side or back for me, has just enough room for me to stand or lean against the wall when i am working from that side. And i only have one side free to get to the back. Hope you are up running soon!!

I have my Millie set up with the panto side to a wall of sliding doors (cupboards) but enough room to take the head off if need be. The freehand side is set up into the room as I have my cutting bench behind me to have everything I need to finish a quilt close at hand. My husband creeps up most evenings when he gets home and scares me!!!

I can only walk around one end of my machine.

Lyn

So far so good. They really have good detailed instructions for set up. Must have a really on top of it technical writer who knows how to communicate! Taking a break for ice cream sandwiches from the freezer. That always helps my sweetie's mind set. Think I will take him to Applebie's for dinner. Well back to it........

I will be able to only walk around one end of my machine too.

Thanks for your advice.

;)

Sounds like you're getting it done!!:) I have a Lenni too. I have the freehand side facing out to the room and can only walk around one end of my table. There is a couch right behind the freehand side though that I often end up leaning against and am finding it's a great place to put items as I quilt. The panto side is close to the windows/wall. I have enough room to be back there and that is about it. Good luck and happy quilting.

Originally posted by sharni

So far so good. They really have good detailed instructions for set up. Must have a really on top of it technical writer who knows how to communicate! ;)

The Really Good Technical Writer --- That would be Dawn Cavanaugh! :)

PS: I like having my "panto" side (back) of the machine out toward the middle of the room so I have space to fluff out (like the train on a wedding dress) and roll my backer and top onto the machine. The front of my machine is not at the wall but about 5 feet from it. I have a table against the wall where I set all of my tools, rulers, books, pens, patterns, thread...... yadda yadda yadda. comes in handy to have that table right behind me as I work from the front of the machine. So basically, as I stand at the front (freehand) side of the machine I am looking out into the center of the room.

post--13461906238914_thumb.jpg

Whew! it is done. Too pooped to fire it up tonight but will do that first thing after watching the training videos that were sent. Quilt Monkey, is that a little quilt monkey of yours. How great to be teaching her at a young age. Love her smile. :D

Awww thanks Sharon. This is a pic of my "little" (I am in the BBBS program) her name is Mary. In this an oldy moldy pic when she was in 4th grade - we are making her first quilt (Christmas gift for her mom). She's graduating from 6th grade this week (with straight As of course!). She is getting so pretty, too. Becoming quite the young lady. I have plans to get with her again and make another quilt.... this summer, now that school's out! I need to get a current pic of her at the machine. :) She's such a sweetie. Love her bunches!!! :)

Archived