New twist

Here's one I haven't heard before.

I mostly quilt for myself. Anyway, last night about 6pm a customer and her friend came by with a baby quilt. Spent time picking out thread, pantograph versus custom, yada yada. They chose a pantograph, 1.6 yards at $25/yd and $8 for thread..$48. (I can't bring myself to charge a set up fee when it goes on the machine in less than 10 minutes)

I didn't have anything on the Millie at the time, so I put the baby quilt on (with the snappers---OMG is that fast) I quilted the quilt in about 1 1/2 hours. I planned to call her an a couple of days to let her know the quilt was done...I have found that if it gets done too quickly, they don't think it should cost as much.

Got a message left on my phone last night, WHICH I GOT THIS AM. The customer's friend called because she now decided that she wanted custom quilting and was expecting to pay about $110!

It will be interesting to see how this falls out. I don't i ntend to skin a quilt, I can assure you this right now!!

Let me know what you think!

I'm suddenly happy that it takes me way too long to get to my customer's quilts! There's a good reason to procrastanate:D:D

Thanks for sharing. I can't see myself ever getting into this situation, so I have no words of wisdom. I like Vicki's advice. If I were the customer I wouldn't mind hearing that at all. And I'd say no to ripping, I'll pay for the panto thank you very much.

Update::: She came by unexpectedly to pick up the quilt just now. She was really pleased. She brought a second quilt along and wants that quilted the same way.

Last night, I had shown her custom quilting and different pantographs that were finished. I'm trying to think how I could have done this differently, other than wait 24 hours!

Holly, by the time the customer left, she had picked out the panto, the thread and etc. At that point you were good to go and you did:) Next time she will need to be more sure of herself before she walks out the door. Sounds like it turned out just fine though.

Archived