scared!!!

Cheri good luck in your new venture. I helped my friend run her small shop such as yours. Things to be aware of at least in this part of the country. Business phone and internet service for a business location is 3X more than a home. My friend had to use her personal cell phone for the first few years. They should be able to give you utility history cost. Her insurance was actually cheaper at her shop than when she ran her business from home. Start with very basic sewing notions and then add as your class supply list grows, she didn't stock cutters, rulers or mats as most people buy those at joannes on coupon. Ask your fabric wholesaler for overstock/closeout specials and stock your store with those until you find out what you customer nitch is. She worked her classes and kits around the fabric she could buy at discount. Her thread, Zippers, Wool, Embroidery supplies, and Baby flannel and baby kits were placed in the shop on consignment, this saved her lots of money but also brought in customers, so don't overlook consignments as long as it is new product not just someone tring to sell old stash.[ She rented them the space on a per month basis + 10% of sales}

Besides a month to month agreement you should ask/demand that your rent can't be raise for 12-18 months. Also find out who is responsible for repairs such as plumbing, wiring. She had to move from her first location because a window leak flooded her shop, landlord told her if she wanted it to stop leaking she would need to fix it...est cost was over$4,000 so beware of who is responsible and get that part in writing.

Don't over extend yourself in hours, but be prompt and consistant, it is tuff running a shop by yourself but your customers will learn to come when you are open you can't have hours that please everyone if you try you will burn out fast. It's hard work but loads of fun too...so have fun.

Terry

Such good advice offered here!

I will echo Terry's comment about over-extending yourself. You seriously must be closed at least one day a week. This will allow you down time and a planned space of time to connect with hubby and family. Even if you and your DH do nothing but talk about the business, that break will recharge your energy to face another week. Locally the LQS's close--one on Sundays and one on Mondays. And one has late hours on Thursday to accommodate the 9-to-fivers who can't make it earlier or on Saturdays. Money makers seem to be classes--a captive audience for fabric and notions sales--and potential longarm customers.

You will find your niche or MAKE your niche. With other stores so far away, you will find that if you stock repo fabric, or Civil War, or Kaffe--your customers will be drawn to them even if they never thought of using them before.

As Terry said--hard work but loads of fun!

We have three quilt shops in our area. One shop owner talks your ear off about her family problems, and people hate to go there. The other owner has gotten crossways with some of the honcho's in the quilt guild, so about half the guild boycotts, and the other one is a tiny thing in her home, and caters mostly to country-type fabrics. There's one about 30 miles away, always with something fun going on, classes, projects, bus trips, etc. Its a pleasure to go there, all the employees are helpful and knowledgeable. So...guess who gets the business! I don't think that the increasing prices have much effect. It adds what...$5 or $10 to a project? If a person is willing to spend $200 for fabric for a quilt, $210 isn't going to deter them. If you want to do it, go for it. It is a lot of hours in the store, away from home, and some days, nobody comes it. Offer things that are different, shop your competition, and best of luck. It sounds great!

Speaking from experience, running a shop is not what it seems from the customer's side. You will get very little time to sew/quilt. You will spend your time ordering, researching new products, dealing with staff, solving customer problems, doing books, being janitor, processing new stock, planning classes, cancelling classes, handling salesmen, spending very little time with family and friends...on the other side you will meet many wonderful people along the way. My best advice- make a very detailed business plan including a budget, and stick to it.

Speaking from experience, running a shop is not what it seems from the customer's side. You will get very little time to sew/quilt. You will spend your time ordering, researching new products, dealing with staff, solving customer problems, doing books, being janitor, processing new stock, planning classes, cancelling classes, handling salesmen, spending very little time with family and friends...on the other side you will meet many wonderful people along the way. My best advice- make a very detailed business plan including a budget, and stick to it.

Ardelle gave you great advice! I also own a quilt shop, and while it is a love of quilting that may cause you to consider taking this step, make sure that you love being IN BUSINESS. You will have to juggle all the balls that Ardelle mentions, and then some, and there is rarely enough time to get it all done. Yet the customers are wonderful and supportive, and I love being a part of such a creative industry.

So run to the nearest Small Business Development Center to have them help you put together a business plan, talk to any existing shop owners that you can find willing to share their expertise, and see it this is the path for you! Sounds like there is an opportunity there, definitely to be explored.

Good luck with your decision making Cheri, it sounds like a great opportunity and everyone has given great advice. I have also just moved into business premises for longarm quilting services after trading from home and outgrowing the space. It is however still a financial risk for me to take and if it weren't my hobby also, I would not be taking the risk. Also it is my secondary income and accountancy is my primary income. I have a year to decide if I need to go home again. although I can't possibly think where I will put everything if I go home. I would like to consider also class scenarios too for the future, but again it is having enough horus in each day !!!

Good luck again with whatever decision you make.

Cheri-

I sent you a you to U2U.

There is ALOT of great advice offered here Just remember -You CANNOT please everyone! You need to do what works for you and your family. I wish you all the best! What would you name your shop? When can you open? I think you should have a "secret grand opening" just for your friends on this Chat! :);):);):);) Now I have to look at a map to do the mileage from Montana to Indiana! Carpool anyone??:D:D

Kind of slow replying...the samples I refer to are quilts and wallhangings made up to hang on the walls...people love to see this...sells patterns. fabric and your quilting services.I am assuming you were going to sell fabric too.. Start a quilt group too...

Archived