Classes for MQX West

I was looking at the classes for the MQX West convention this October and this is the classes I decided to take. Has anyone taken these before? Do you have any suggestions or comments on these classes? Am I taking too many? Any classes you recommend?

WEDNESDAY Oct. 12

W125 Donita Reeve Gadgets & Gizmos1 8-10am

W145 Deloa Jones Border Patrol 1-5pm

THURSDAY Oct. 13

W209 Karen McTavish Victorian Quilting 8-10am

W241 Sharon Schamber Longarm Dancing Feathers 1-5pm

(?) W275 Dawn Cavanaugh Continuous Curves for newbies 5-7pm Not sure if I should take this class

FRIDAY Oct. 14

W309 Dawn Cavanaugh Background Gridwork fillers 8-10am

W333 Sally Terry Terry Twist Adaptable Variations 1-5pm

W904 Charlotte Angotti Dinner Banquet 7-10pm

SATURDAY Oct. 15

W409 Sue Patten Spines with Design Blocks 8-10am

W435 Dawn Cavanaugh Best of Funky Feathers Design

Wow, Hitomi, that is a long list of classes!!! The instructors you've chosen are EXCELLENT!!! You may find that 3 classes in one day will leave you brain-dead by the end of the day. I've done MQS and Innovations a number of times and in the beginning I would load up on the classes. Lots of notes, lots of projects. But nowadays I limit myself to 2 a day max, so that I can SAVOR every moment, information seems to stick better in my old brain that way.

If you get a chance, and can afford it, take a couple of hands on classes. It is wonderful to "play" and learn at the same time.

I am planning to take only 3 classes that have to do with ZenTangles, these intrigue me; the rest of the time shopping for longarm toys and threads, etc. and sight-seeing.

Good choices, Hitomi. You will love the experience, but be sure to take the time to enjoy the show, & save some energy (and money) for SHOPPING! There is a fabulous fabric store in Portland that we will be hitting also.

Barb, you're going too? Be sure to contact Hitomi re: hotels, she got us a great deal.

Guest Linda S

You might want to pare that down a bit -- you'll be on so much overload you won't remember half of it.

Linda

I forgot to say I'd go for two classes a day max (and leave a day free for viewing the quilts and shopping) -- add the banquet in, that's always a good time and you get to win door prizes. I'm really looking forward to MQX West. I'll be at La Quinta

I have never been to MQX before and I wonder how many vendors there will be. The shows in California often have so many that it can take an entire day or more to visit them all. Has this been the case at MQX East? I am trying to decide how I should divide my time between classes and shopping. I will only be there for a limited time. This will be my first specific machine quilting show and I want to make sure I have time to look at all of the LA goodies that I haven't seen before. So hard trying to decide!

Sue

Hitomi, you have a great list of classes but I think you should pare it down just a tad. I too have loaded myself down with classes and found the years I took less I actually learned more and had more fun. You sure want to save time for the vendors' mall and shopping around town and seeing the quilt show. I have not been to MQX before so not sure how it works, but one year at Innovations, I took too many classes and didn't get to see the quilt showl Just my humble opinion. Look forward to meeting you.

Guest Linda S

MQX is similar to, but slightly smaller than, MQS. Probably a bit bigger than Road to California. They can have a few hundred vendors, and probably about 400 quilts (at least that's been the size in the past), so you definitely want to spend some time shopping and drooling at all the lovely quilting. I filled my schedule too full to see everything the first time I went (2005), and I've learned to save myself a day for just shopping and looking since then.

Linda

hummm, I guess I should cut out a hands on class out for some free time. I was thinking, I was there to learn and I wanted to get everything I could in those 5 days, not shop, LOL! But I definitely wanted to see the quilts. How late is the event open till? The classes are until 5:00pm. I was taking a 2 hour lecture from 8 to 10, then a hands on class from 1 to 5, so I had 3 hours in between to do something. We are coming all the way from Hawaii, heck, I want to get all I can get, LOL!!

Hitomi,

I think the hands on classes are beneficial if you do well in that setting. Deloa's border patrol is an excellent class and I'd highly recommend it. I've had Sue Patton's class as well and it is great. Sue packs a ton into 2 hours. I think 2 classes a day is probably good unless you are taking 3 2-hour lectures. Maybe you should leave just 1 days that has more free time so that you can really look over the quilts and then shop. I think I would feel like you do if I were traveling that far too.

I agree with leaving one day mostly free. I went to MQX east for the first time last month and I was so glad I had one day completely devoted to the show, even though there were classes that interested me on that day. There were many vendors with things I had never seen before and some of them had demonstrations I would have missed out on had I filled my day with classes. Also, the quilts will be a valuable source of inspiration for you too.

Having said that, I'm not sure which classes I would cut. It's a very hard decision.

Jess

It looks like you have a two hour and a four hour class each day. I guess the banquet is not a class, but your day starts at 8 am and ends at 10 pm--that might affect the next day--which again starts at 8 am.

If you are wishing to perhaps pare this busy schedule down, drop a lecture class. Those many times aren't filled fully so if you change your mind you may be able to pick a class up at the last minute. It just leaves options open for rest, socializing, shopping, and the quilt show.

I hope to see you there!

Buy the DVD of the quilts and you won't have to spend a lot of time looking. You'll still want to look because the pictures don't do them justice. I ordered the DVD of MQX East this year because Jeff said he took five pictures of each quilt. Then you can zoom in on your computer.

You'll get into the quilt show Wednesday evening from 6-9. Thurs was 10-6 and Friday and Saturday were 9-5. You've picked great classes and I would have a hard time eliminating. But if you do, go with a lecture class. I can't wait to hear about your trip.

Archived