IQ UPDATE AND STIQ

Gator

Have any of you installed the latest upgrade? I was on vacation and just found out about it. I saw a lot of problems listed on the yahoo group but it seemed to be on the older tablets (I have the I-400). I ordered a StIQ also. I hear that it now does a "secure stitch" at the beginning, so does this mean we no longer have to "tie and bury"? I know that I could ask this on the yahoo group but I value my fellow APQS quilter's opinions?

I downloaded the new version and received the Stiq. The new version will automatically do the Forward Stitch at the beginning of a stitching sequence. I have been working on a quilt with a lot of large blocks with crosshatch and NSZ. I have found the IQ will do the Forward Stitch at the very first stitching at the Start position after you bring up bobbin thread hold the threads and hit Start. I have the transition on the NSZ set to Stop and Tie Threads. Under this setting the IQ will do the Forward Stitching at the beginning of the sequence but will do at the end of each ones of the stitching sequence. Zoltan told me that the only time the Forward Stitching will work at the beginning of a sequence is when the stitching is an automatic function of a sequence. It will work on jumpstitches but will not work after selection Restart. Hope this helps. If you have any more question or this is not clear let me know. Mickey

Guest Linda S

I don't have mine yet - it should arrive this week. I have been keeping up with all the posts on the IQ list, and it seems everything is fixable and, yes, most of it involved the older tablets. I'm waiting for my shipping notice so I can be sure I'm here when it comes!

Linda

Connie,

The tablets from 4 or so years ago need some additional memory to run the new IQ update. It is about a $35 fix to get more memory for those older tablets and then IQ will run fine with the latest update. For those with more recent tablets, the new update runs great.

If I remember correctly, you bought your IQ within the last 2 years so you wouldn't need to add any memory to your tablet. Go on and update your IQ- you'll love all the cool stuff Zoltan has been working on!

It is amazing to me to think that even those who bought their IQ systems way back when have received every single update to IQ for free. I wish my embroidery software worked that way!

I'm looking at the StIQ also and I was wondering how you plan to use it?

Thanks!

Angie,

I agree with you. It's more then amazing that Zoltan and Ross spend hours on updates then "give them to us free", unbelievable. His customer service is also unbelievable, it only took him a few days to offer the extra memory for the older tablets. I bet the $35.00 was his price because I haven't bought a memory upgrade for my computers for less then 100.00. I have Brother embroidery machines (10 needle, 6 needle and quattro) and the PE Design updates are always around 300.00, I believe the Bernina is more.

I ordered the StIQ, but you know, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet. I'm thinking that I will use it for classes, back-up for my patterns and finished quilt designs. I'll let you know after I get it. The real truth, I'm just "addicted" to gadgets, LOL.

StIQ is just the IQ program except it lives on a thumb drive. IQ runs on a Linnux based tablet where as the StIQ can be run with Windows. You can't operate the machine with a StIQ but you can use it on your computer and sync patterns, teach classes and demo the IQ program more easily. It is basically the ability to use IQ in "demo mode" without needing the IQ tablet. So it becomes very portable for those who want to take classes but don't want to be bothered taking their tablet to the classes.

I don't really see how a standard IQ customer would benefit from the StIQ just yet. I do see how teachers and dealers might benefit from having it or even those with multiple IQ systems so they can sync across all the tablets.

I'm looking forward to seeing how others use their StIQ before I decide to purchase it. :)

Angie,

I received my StIQ yesterday, I'll let you know what I think.

I know that I'll feel more at ease taking the StIQ on my laptop to classes then my actual tablet. LOL, I always worry about dropping the tablet or something in transit. I would rather replace a laptop then my golden tablet. It will also cut down on the hours on my tablet, since I can sit and design quilts on the laptop and then transfer to the tablet. Gotta run, I'm at my day job, hummmmm could bring the StIQ to work with me, LOL.

Guest Linda S

Mine will be here on Monday! Helen and Tony will be here for the install on Friday. I am so excited. Cleaning and purging the studio, so they can find their way in here! ;)

I finally got the upgrade on my tablet - no problem at all, I have only had time to look around alittle - put a quilt on today and set up a panto - worked great - no problems at all, stitched great ....I have the newer tablet not the older one that some were having issues with.

The STIQ - is great - I had everything unplugged last night because we getting bad weather - thunder and lightning ---but I plugged my STIQ into my "unplugged" laptop and had a great time. Worked on a new layout for a future quilt top and didn't worry about the weather!!! I had my "learn to" books out - tried new things just sitting at the desk!!!

Couldn't get any better!!!!!!!!

IQ and STIQ are really great - you gals that are waiting patiently for your new toys are just going to love them!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Have my StIQ now and have been using it like crazy. When helping customers I would have to either bring a tablet into the house or whereever I went to explain some training topic or to help with something. Now I can just pop in the StIQ and replicate the situation so that I can follow right along with the customer and tell them step by step what to do next. I also the ease of organizing using my laptop with full keyboard & shortcut keys then load it into the libraries on the StIQ instead of organizing on my laptop then having to plug & unplug my flash drive a zillion times to get the patterns transferred into the right library without selecting a few here & there.

I also really like the IQ update. I know there have been a few issues for some people, but overall really like th new layout for pattern libraries and many other things.

One thing that you will want to look at when you've done the update is that I've had to recalibrate 4 IQ's already (2 were mine) after updating to get the measurement that the IQ thinks it is using to match to real world measurements. Before recalibrating it would be about 4" short over the course of 85-90". This would leave a pantograph stopping short by about 4" over that span. Just recalibrate and it will all match up perfectly again. It happens with blocks also, but it's just not as noticeable because you are not sewing one continuous span.

There are videos on www.intelliquiltertraining.com on calibration if you are unfamiliar with the process. It's not hard at all, just be very meticulous with your measuring and it should take about 10 minutes or less to do.

Archived