CL boards

Hey!! Guess what's another "DO NOT DO THIS" thing?

I received my CL boards and wanted to use them right away. The instructions are a little skimpy, but it said you could use shelf liner or double sided carpet tape to keep them from moving around. Shelf liner didn't help at all so I got out the carpet tape. Lots of carpet tape. Did I say LOTS of carpet tape? It was the old "more is better" thought I guess.

Well, those little suckers didn't move one iota. So secure. I did three quilts with them stuck down. It was wonderful...another life is good moment. Right up until I decided to take them off and use another design. OMG!!! It took me and my husband forever to get them loose. We had to use a lot of Goo Gone and struggled, and finally got them off the pantograph film cover. Yup...you heard me right...that's what I did...I taped them to the film covering. Actually, that was a good thing because I just took those off and threw them away. There was no way to get all that tape residue off them. It took 30 minutes to get the residue off my boards. Now my boards are clean, my table is clean and my hands only have sticky glue residue in spots.

I have to find out if (and where) I can order more pantograph film. I'm not sure why I want to because I have NEVER done a pantograph in twenty years of LAing, but it was always there and dang it...it will be again.

So...in retrospect I can assuredly tell you that if you are going to use carpet tape on your CL boards...be VERY, VERY stingy with it. Better yet...DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Oh my, Oma! I guess you had quite a mess, but actually you had the two things that you need to put on the CL boards to keep them from moving. I use the double sided carpet tape, put it on the back of the CL boards and then I put the rubber shelf liner on the tape. The tape holds the shelf liner on the boards and then the boards don't move when I am using them. I've done this to all but the Zig Zag/Waves templates.

I have not put the shelf liner on the Zig Zag/Waves tboards because I want them to slide easily back and forth to position the holes in the stepping plate when making the designs. I tape the stepping plate to the table (panto film) and then use blue painters tape to hold the ZZ/Waves boards while stitching.

Actually, the problem wasn't with using carpet tape per se...I think it was more about the AMOUNT of tape I used. LOL. It was enough to make you stand there and shake your head. I went up one side, down the other side and taped in the middle where the boards connect. I'm a good taper, probably from my nursing days.

Gotta say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the boards though.

Michael, perhaps you could write a "Circle Lord boards for dummies" sheet. All would have been fine except I got in a hurry and I had to reconfigure some of my computerized parts to get them out of the way so I was sort of "rigging" it the best I could in order to use them. Won't do that again. It was pretty funny.

Carmen, I want to try your idea if I'm not too trauma shocked from the previous carpet tape experience. LOL.

Oma:

You can order new panto vinyl from the factory. Just call Amy and tell her what size table you have. It isn't very expensive! I use a large piece of shelf liner (the no-skid waffle type) on my table that I lay on the panto vinyl before using my long boards. Then I use a (small) piece of the blue painter's tape on each end of the boards just to keep them from shifting in case I accidentally leave my stylus down while advancing the quilt.

Originally posted by carolinequilts

I think that what was meant by shelf liner is that rubber stuff that comes on a roll. You can get it at Walmart. There is really no need for tape at all, that rubber stuff works great! I put it on the table (it is about 16" wide) and then my boards don't move.

Hope this helps.

I was using the "waffle" kind that Michael recommended not the flat shelf stuff. It didn't keep it from sliding though. I also had problems with the stylus catching in the seams where the boards connected. Carpet tape took care of all those problems, but created a whole new set of problems. I'm going to try putting blue painters tape on them and I'm going to re-read the instructions to make sure I'm doing it right. LOL/

I also use the shelf liner plus the blue painter's tape. It works just fine for me.

I like one of the ideas posted above about securing the shelf liner to the boards. It would be a PITA to do that to all of my boards, but I do think it's a good idea. One of the other brands has it already on the back of the boards when you purchase them. I forget which one it is though.

Originally posted by circlelord

I just looked at my instructions and see that I have written"Carpenter's Tape when I mean "Painter's Tape.

OMG Michael!

Oma, your explanation had me laughing. I could just picture it. That's one mistake you will never make twice:D

Gable, when I said I had spots of glue on my hands you have to visualize that it looked like I had stuck both my hands into a pail of honey and boy were they ever sticky. Then I tried to wash it off. The soap just made it a bigger mess. I finally took Goo Gone and poured it over my hands to get the biggest part off then poured it onto a rag to rub more off. Not quickly mind you, but it did come off. Then I was left with "spots of glue residue" on my hands. I sat and watched tv and managed to get the rest rubbed off.

The funnier picture was when the tape was stuck all over me up to my wrists and my husband didn't want to touch it to pull it off because it stuck to him. He looked like he was pondering that "for better or worse" clause in our vows.

You're right about not doing that again, but dang it, I think I will carpet tape them to some of the shelf liner Michael recommended. He includes the exact name and product number for it so I should be ok. It will take a couple of weeks for me to get up enough nerve to play with the tape again. Geez...I sound like a cat....I'm going back for more. LOL.

Archived