Millie parked on quilt and guess what!

I need to remember not to hit the return key after I type in the subject line. I left millie parked on a quilt, and came back to find about a quarter sized oil spot. I'm usually so careful not to park on the quilt :( ...what is the best solution for removing the oil? I've tried searching through old posts and can't seem to find anything.

Debbie,

So sorry to hear about the oil drip! The baking soda should work. Just for future reference, if oil is dripping down the needle bar or hopping foot it is a sign that the wicks are being oiled too often. Wait until a wick is dry to the touch before adding only one drop of oil to it. Don't oil a wick unless it is dry. Sometimes only one wick will be dry and not the rest, and that is normal. Another indicator that the machine is receiving too much oil is the presence of an oily ring of lint clinging to either the hopping foot or the needle bar where they exit the housing.

Take the left side plate off the machine and wipe up any excess oil that may be acccumulating at the bottom of the housing, or around the area area where the needle bar and foot exit the bottom of the housing. This should help prevent further mishaps, along with parking the machine off to the side. If the baking soda doesn't work, a small mixture of Dawn dishwashing soap and water gently dabbed on the spot may help, too. Dab with clear water to remove the soap.

Thanks Dawn. I had just cleaned and oiled my millie about 10 days ago and been so busy with moving oldest daughter into apartment for graduate school and helping youngest daughter getting apartment ready for upcoming marriage, I've not had time to quilt since then. I think she rested too long and I forgot to wipe the head like a usually do after oiling and letting it sit. I'll soon have an empty nest am looking forward to being able to focus more on my quilting.

Archived