Looking for ideas

Hiya! I need to get this quilt going on the rack soon and I'm stumped. The accent fabric is pretty busy so I don't want to clutter it further. I've got to insert a light green border between the outside & the fuchsia one to make it bigger (needs to be 2m square) and the fabrics aren't exactly the same so I need to minimise that difference. I thought by using a slightly darker green thread, I could do something to carry it through. Would prefer to do custom rather than E2E. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Elita

2006255300107230315fzLWuv_th.jpg

Elita,

If I had this quilt I would do something simple in the outside border fabric. It is really busy and you'll only see textrue. Perfect place for piano keys. I think the light green area is the area that would really show the quilting so I'd use that are to add pizzaz. You could do either some kind of motif in there or you could do radiating lines like that of a sun to draw the eye into the middle of the block . I'd probably do either straight line work in the navy or cc's or you could just SID around them to make them pop and create a border and around the blocks. I would do a dense fill in the white area so that the rest of the blocks really pop. Have fun with it.

Elita,

I would definitely go with custom. I agree with Heidi that you need to do something simple with the outside border fabric. The center of the quilt is so beautiful that you will want to have that stand out.

I'm not sure what I would quilt in the center but I use a piece of plexiglass that I lay over my quilt tops to audition different quilting designs before deciding. Maybe that would help you.

It is a complicated design -- I can see why you are stumped.

I think I'd choose an interesting motif that fits the entire square that is surrounded by green. Then I'd focus on the remaining section that includes the green with the blue, red, and multi- fabrics. That is how I'd section it out for quilting design.

Guest Linda S

Try turning your color photo to black and white in your photo program. It sometimes gives you a whole new view of the design and can make it clearer what you might want to do with it.

Archived