Hexagon Courthouse Steps - trying for photo

I'd appreciate some suggestions on how to quilt hexagon blocks made out of log cabin strips. It's a courthouse steps coloration... logs on opposite sides are of the same fabric so there are 3 pairs of fabrics in each round of logs (with fussy cut hexagon centers).

If you can't picture this, what is your favorite way to quilt log cabin blocks...feathers won't work here and I sure don't want to ditch it!

Your thoughts or even your sketches would be mightily appreciated!

Nancy in Tucson

AHA! I remembered how to post photos! I'm using these blocks as a border. Now what do you think?

post--13461906720066_thumb.jpg

Nancy,

I often quilt a 1/4" echo away from the ditch on logs -- it is easier and gives texture. You could do fill on every other log, or every other slice of the hexagon, leaving the center hexagon unquilted. You can also treat the grouping of logs as a backdrop for a motif -- perhaps a flower with petals, with the center hexagon being the center of the flower. Or do a wiggle line over the ditch, rather than SID.

Joan, Lyn & Heidi:

Thanks for your ideas...I will probably face off with this border today. Yesterday I finished quilting the teal polka dot background in 4" daisies. I've been trying not to over quilt this one... the quilt is going in a gallery show so the 'audience' won't necessarily be quilters. It's more about the skeletons in the foreground. Will post a photo when it's done but there is still time if anyone else cares to suggest another idea. What did we do before they started this forum???

Nancy in Tucson

Archived