'Splain please

I used my laser light/clamps and pinned the top edge of quilt on perfectly straight - then basted - again straight as possible. I'm now at the end of the 2nd row and it's wonky. The right side is now a little lower than the left - can tell because of the sashing across the quilt and when setting things up for the computer stuff. Also, the right side border is wavy so fixing that with starch/steam method. Did I mess up or is there something slightly wonky with the quilt?

I don't do many pantos, but with the quilt being slightly wonky and you not having ANY control over how the quilt sucks up as you quilt could be a reason. This is one reason I put extra clamps on when I do pantos. And another why I don't use them. They and I have never bonded.

Sorry - I didn't explain well. This is custom work - no panto. Each square / border has computer motifs but the sashing and inner border is free-motion. I baste the sides down as I move down the quilt but this one has me befuddled as to why it's gone wonky all of a sudden.

That is a huge difference. You say your basting the sides down. What about the sides of each block with SID. You will have total control then. When you only baste down the sides of the quilt and not the rest or each block. I find that things suck up differently from block to block. If you don't want to or aren't getting paid for SID. Then pin well each row down solid as you move down. You will be able to control how things suck up better. There are many many ways to do this. You will get several methods so pick what works for you.

I very seldom have a quilt stay straight as I quilt and roll it. I always readjust the quilt top, so that it is straight after I advance the fabric, and then take in any excess as I quilt.

If you are doing motifs, are you SIDing around the block edge first, so that it doesn't move?

I'm not sure I completely followed what you were saying, but keeping a quilt top straight while quilting seems like a game of averages, as far as I can tell!

if, as you say, the right side is wavy then this may be the cause of that right side going a little lower ... the waviness is moving down. maybe fixing the waviness first before any stitching will help prevent that right side from dipping. also the pinning the b-jesu out of the row before you start the quilting will help. unpin as you go. jmho.

I float my quilt tops. It helps me to pin across the quilt close to the top roller, as well as pin or baste the sides. Refresh with every roll.

Sometimes it helps to switch direction, stitch every other row right to left. I know it goes against what Dawn teaches :D but it's something that Sue Patton preaches.

Did you measure the quilt top carefully before loading? Maybe it was wonky to start.

I must be more tired than I think I am - Yes, I'm sidding around the block and because there is a "block" inset with triangles - I'm sidding around the inside block also prior to doing any quilting. I'm also starch/steaming the wavy border prior to any sid along the outside edge.

The bottom edge of the top is attached to the roller and I pinned / basted the quilt top edge after using the laser light to make absolutely sure that it was straight across the top. I guess that's a partial float.

This is the 2nd quilt to do this after starting. Another one had to be blocked after the quilting - it wasn't anything I had done but the way the quilt was pieced. I'm hoping this is the same. It's such a dream when I get an absolutely square quilt top!!

Thanks all - any more ideas still welcome.

Hi Laura.

One thing you could check--that outside border edge you use as a guide for straightness--seldom are those border pieces perfectly straight. Check for straight along the first horizontal pieced seam. Use your laser along that to adjust the top. You have already found that the side border is wonky--the top border could be as well. I treat borders as separate parts of the quilt. Seems like they are the main trouble spots.

Archived