How much Bottom Line thread can you get on a metal bobbin ?????

I just did an experiment............I had a brand new spool of Bottom Line 60 wt. thread (1420 yards). I wound 12 3/4 metal bobbins from that spool which averages to about 110 - 112 yards to a bobbin. I used my Turbo Winder that came with my Millie. I know the prewounds get a little more on them, but they are wound on industrial machines.

Actually, I just went to Superior's website and the prewound Bottom Line Super Bobs have 118 yards on them............so pretty darn close to the same amount of thread on our metal bobbins.

Just a tid bit of information in case you were wondering. :)

You wouldn't happen to know the price comparision off hand!

I know you are all going to laugh but I haven't figured out my Turbo Winder yet. First bobbin I wound was terrible and I thought my Winder was "preparing for takeoff":D , turbo jet style!!!! Wow that thing goes fast! :D:D:D

PPP:P:P:P

Donna

APQS Liberty with Turbo Jet Winder;)

Wow Linda, thanks for researching this! Plus you now have a batch of bobbins ready for your next project!

I don't have a turbo winder and if I need self-wound bobbins it takes me about three minutes for each one, which even with a better price for the thread, makes the time expenditure too much. I made the decision years ago that the pre-wounds were cost-effective for me. Now if I had a turbo winder it would be a different story!

I was directed to the Gammill site where their winder is much less expensive than the APQS turbo. Maybe Christmas??;)

It does seem a lot easier to use the prewounds, but.......

SuperBobs costing:

$68.00 for 144/ 118yds per bobbin

$68.00 for 16,992 yds

$136.00 for 33,984 yds

$45.00 for 33,000 yd cones

So SuperBobs 3x the cost of 33,000yd cone of Bottom Line

Am I correct in this deduction?

Do I order metal OR aluminium bobbins?

How much do you charge per bobbin? Just curious, as I may start doing that in 2012. I generally wind (Turnbo winder) my own bobbins using So Fine. So far, I have not charged for thread, it is just included in my quilting fee.

I like winding my own because I can use the colors that I want, and wind what I need. I usually order 2 cones of the same color so I can just leave one on the bobbin winder until the quilt is finished. I start by winding a few, then I fill as needed. I don't seem to mind doing it this way. If I buy a color that I don't think I will use very much, I will just get one cone and try to guess the number of bobbins I will need, so I don't have to remove the come from my Liberty to wind a another bobbin.

I really have no idea what to charge per bobbin of So Fine. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by dmilner

You wouldn't happen to know the price comparision off hand!

I know you are all going to laugh but I haven't figured out my Turbo Winder yet. First bobbin I wound was terrible and I thought my Winder was "preparing for takeoff":D , turbo jet style!!!! Wow that thing goes fast! :D:D:D

PPP:P:P:P

Donna

APQS Liberty with Turbo Jet Winder;)

CORRECTION ON THE PRICE !

I figured the metal bobbins wound with Bottom Line will cost about 61 cents each winding from a spool.......51 cents each winding from a 3,000 yard cone. The prewounds from Superior with Bottom Line run around 76 cents each.

I like using the prewounds for colors that I use a lot of, but then sometimes need to wind my own for a certain color and I don't want to buy a dozen or more of them.

I haven't tested any other threads.

Yes, that Turbo Winder takes some getting used to. It does do a nice job, but I still jump each time I engage it and it takes off...........really winds a bobbin fast! It didn't take me long at all to wind those 12+ bobbins. I was pulling some thread off of partial bobbins while winding the new ones and I never got one bobbin unwound before the new one was done. ;)

Archived