Comparing Longarms

I think the only way you can really decide between the two machines is try them both. I know I had thought I always wanted a Gammill - with all the bells and whistles. Then I tried one - used it for several hours in a class and decided I wasn't as excited about it is I had been. I then tried an A-1 and then the APQS machines. I instantly fell in love with the Millie and new it was the machine for me.

Try them all out and you'll know which machine is right for you. :D

Basically it was how light the Millie was compared to the Gammill and how easily it moved. The Gammill I used had lots of vibration. Compared to that, the Millie had almost none. I have a bad back (fractured it in 1975 when I fell off a horse) and after using the Gammill in a class all day, I was sore. I thought the lighter machine would be easier on my back. It is, but my back still talks to me (sometimes even yells at me:() if I spent too much time using the Millie.

The other thing that sold me on the APQS machines was how easy it was to thread compared to the Gammills and how easy the maintenance is. I also love the customer service and the people at APQS. All qualities that were/are really important to me:D

However, everyone is different, so I strongly suggest you try each machine you are thinking about and decide what is the best fit for you personally.

I'm with everyone else. TRY THEM OUT!!! I have a Mille and spent 2 years off and on doing the research, learning about quilting designs, and test driving. The incredible number of Gammill technical problems and lack of those getting resolved through tech support that I kept hearing about on the forums worried me.

The Mille just fit me. I had a neck injury in 2000 and surgery in 2001 that left me with some residule problems The adjustable handles, the lightness of the machine, the way it moved, everything just felt better than the Gammil. My decision also was between the 2. Course the fact that Ken Gammill came across to me like a sleezy used car salesman pushed my decision to the more professional attitude I found at APQS. (I understand that has changed somewhat since Ken retired). I haven't regretted my decision once in 4 years. jeri

As everyone else suggested, trying them out is the best way. But I did buy mine sight unseen. I'd never even seen one in person. All of my research was done on-line, and I ended up with an APQS millie.

Like Jeri, I had some serious issues with the way Gammill responded to my requests for information (I did not deal with Mr. Gammill).

I emailed both companies, stating my needs and my desires. The response from APQS was business-like, spelling out the features of the 2 machines I was interested in, and giving me the bottom line price for both with various options.

Gammil's local representative sent me a long religious treatise on how Jesus Christ had brought her to quilting, and she was sure Jesus Christ had brought me to quilting too, and wasn't it all wonderful! Not a single answer to ANY question I asked. Not even a price.

Now, personally, I found this a bit offensive. What if her prospective customer is not a Christian? I know Jewish quilters, I know at least one Muslim quilter. I did not like being put into this woman's personal pigeonhole.

I have no issues with someone having had God bring them to quilting, but when I ask business questions, I expect business-like answers! To the point, and addressing all of my concerns. I want a long-arm quilting machine, not a catechism lesson. I DID get this information from APQS, and felt I could deal with them in a straight-forward manner.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Mary

Newbie here and a long time lurker.

I investigated all the companies. Gammill totally turned me off. It was a huge decision for me between the APQS or Nolting.

I choose the Nolting and am very happy with it. I'm saving my $ to get it computrized.

Test drive as many machines as you can.

All have diff things on them and you will find the one for you. :D

I chose APQS over Gammill. I didn't really look at any others. I know more people who have APQS machines and love them. I feel it is a better product based on how it is put together, cost of replacement parts (and ease of replacing said parts (I've done my time fixing things), I can use any thread with little or no hassles, and this chat group is a great example of the support that APQS (and each other) provides.

By the way, I don't even have my machine yet. (I'm thinking of calling it Homer).

Pam

just got my miller(millie) this week I checked the gammill and millie and was most impressed with the millie.Took a two day course on it and decided this was the one for me.I have been using a HQ sixteen with great success but needed more workable space.I`m setting up the table now and i`ll run a test quilt on the weekend.

All machines are oke you just gotta find what works for you.I bought the whole shebangand I`m a jewish quilter no kidding. Religion doesn`t matter just your workmanship.Oyeah I`m still waitng to hear from Gammill and if they read this well you know you missed the boat. Happy quilting.

My plan was to go to Innovations last Sept. & buy a LA machine, having read this forum/chat & read as much as I could on all the machines, I had narrowed it down to A-1, Gammill ,& APQS, but since I had never even touched a LA mach. I thought I had better test drive them first.

Long story-short...I logged onto this chat in May & read of a 2 year old Milli. for sale in Ontario, (I live in B.C.) I was the first to respond (19 after me), so I made a very quick decision, & bought it. Still never haveing seen a LA. in action it was a risk.

The only thing I wish my Milli had is a bigger bobbin like the A-1, other than that I'm happy so far,

I've only been doing this since June.............;)

You've received excellent advice here and I'd like to give you another perspective.

No matter which machine you choose (and especially if you purchase it new), you will be spending a great deal of money--more than a lot of people pay for a car or downpayment on a house. Logically, therefore, research your purchase WELL before you purchase.

This is includes testing all the machines that even vaguely resemble what you determine you need in a machine. Spend the money to go to a show that has all the machines available. MQX is excellent on the East Coast and there are longarm shows/conferences in the Midwest and West Coast. Spending a $1,000 or more to research a product that costs more than $15,000 is an intelligent expenditure. You have the opportunity to compare machines and their company reps almost simultaneously. If you narrow your selection to just two; you can go from machine to machine to really get the 'feel' and be satisfied that this is just the right one for you. This way you can satisfy yourself that you have made the right selection.

Deborah

New Jersey

I'm on my way to the Festival in Houston today for my first class in anythng LA. I'm going to use this opportunity to "test drive" everything there! I've already tried a Gammill since they have a rep in Houston, but all the companies will be at the Festival so I'm going to make the rounds!! I'm so focused on longarms right now I don't know that I'll even see anything else! :D

Archived