the bane of one's existence ...

i used to think that SID'ing was the bane of my existence, but i finally mastered it. Now my newest 'bane' is curved cross-hatching. I just can't figure out a quick and easy way to get those beautiful curved cross-hatches, especially when there is an applique piece in the center. I echo around the applique, then start cross-hatching,and it's stitch ... stop ... bury thread...start again on other side of applique...stitch...stop...bury thread. And then on to new row. aaarrrggghhh ... a lot of stopping and burying and starting up again. What in the world am I missing here? I don't dare restitch up the echo around the applique. looks too messy for me. and back-tacking and continuing across the applique leaves a loop on the back that tends to grab my machine on the next row. help, please?

are you using a fine thread, if so it should not look too messy to travel a short distance the the next line of stitching along the outside. that is what I do anyway, it would be way to time consuming and tedious to start and stop for each line. have you seem the video that Deloa Jones has on her website for curved crosshatching with her rulers. dont have the link right now, but I have seen it there before and also machine quilters resource has a video, i think in the free video area that demonstrates curved crosshatching. hope it helps. I will look for the links if I get a minute.

If you are wanting to crosshatch in an applique block, decide on the spacing and configuration and then use the ruler to mark all the crosshatching. When you are happy with the placement, use the same ruler to stitch all the lines on one side of the block, traveling to the next line in the seam or along the edge of the applique. Work your way to the opposite side until you have done all lines in one direction. Then work one side and then the other in the opposite direction. With marks to guide you, you can concentrate on the single line you are stitching and not worry about spacing or angles.

This method allows you to do short backtracks instead of tieing off and jumping the applique.

Archived