Officially frustrated now.

I'm having trouble with needle thread breaking. Am using Rainbows on top and Masterpiece on the back - both are black. Quilt back is minkee; top is pieced. Am doing a panto; probably going to have to rip out 1/2 of what I have done - my policy is to keep going until problem is fixed, then rip and resew. Have changed needle and bobbin, and taken out the bobbin spring. Have checked and removed thread around the post the bobbin case goes onto. Have used compressed air to blow out tension discs. Have rethreaded and tried different positions for the Rainbows spool (small spool, not cone). I got it not breaking, then had loopy stitches on the top. Tightened tension and was doing ok, then it has begun breaking every few inches again. I looked at the needle eye in the lowest position (with bobbin out) - sounds like it is good because I can see the whole eye. I've been struggling with this for three days and now don't know what to try. Any help?

I would replace the Masterpiece in the bobbin. It is two-ply and not recommended for the longarm, although some have good luck with it (not me, though.)

Is it just the top and Minkee or do you have batting as well?

If the Rainbows is breaking, try to control the thread path to tame it a bit. I assume you are using a horizontal thread holder for the spool of Rainbows? It must feed freely off the spool or else the catching of the thread at odd moments will cause it to break. If it is feeding freely, tame it at the L-guide by stuffing the guide with a piece of batting. This will keep the thread from whipping around as it spools off. Switch out the threading in the three-hole guide above the tensioner. If you are using all three holes, try two using two holes--down the first and up the third. If you are using two holes, try all three. My guidelines for Rainbows says two holes, lots of Sewer's Aid on the cone, and BottomLine bobbins.

Good luck and I hope your frustration will be eased!

Okay, I didn't know that about Masterpiece. Was just looking for a finer bobbin thread - I used to like King tut in my sewing machine and Rainbows on top. And I didn't have So Fine in black. I do have batting. I also, since my first post, changed the bobbin case and that seems to have made a difference. Still some breakage - particularly over seams, but not always. The way I have it threaded is on the spool holder in back (the horiz. one doesn't seem to work well for me - is it really supposed to go way in front by the laser post?); up through the L thing (I'll try the batting idea), then through the middle hole in the first 3-hole guide, and then the top and bottom holes of the 2nd 3 hole guide. I've been putting the sewers aid on the bobbin, not the spool, so will try that too. Then click my heels together three times, close my eyes and repeat , . . . !?

Hi Redhotmama,

Good advise from Linda R. as usual

I love quilting with Minky as backing and I usually use thinner or lighter batting like hobbs 80/20. I just finished longarming 5 quilts, I use rainbows or Signature or so fine or Glide on top and and Glide or Classic magnetic bobbins with no problems at all. I use 4.0 needle.

Masterpiece is the thread of choice for piecing, not industrial strength for longarming, I was told.

Just have to play with your tension until you hit the sweet spot.

Hang on there, it will get better, it happened to me too, I remember talking to Dawn Cavanaugh a lot, helping me with such issues.:)

Corey

I changed to YLI Lingerie in the bobbin - because I don't have any other black machine quilting thread and live a ways from town. I was told by Libby Lehman in a class that her Bottom Line black thread is poor - because of the intense dyes required for black. This may be the source of all my problems and maybe I won't quilt with black thread again unless I find a better brand! And perhaps the problem has been fixed - that was a few years ago. Anyway, now the thread isn't breaking, but I'm getting an occasional loop on the back. I'm almost done with the panto work and then I'm going to take the quilt off and turn it over and see how much I need to rip out.

Don't rip out if you have a few loops on the back. If you are using Minkee and the loops are still visible in the nap, poke those loopies back into the batting. Usually it's not a loop, it's a knot caused by wild top thread. I have that problem with King Tut. If, when you pull on the loop with a needle you can feel no give--it's knotted and won't go any where or come loose if you push it into the batting. Use a tiny crochet hook to go up in the fabric next to the loop and pull it under the fabric.

PS--I use BottomLine pre-wound bobbins in black all the time and have never had breakage or weakness. Maybe Libby's type is different.

I thought at the time (this was a few years ago) it was Libby's line. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Anyway, this quilt has been a complete beast and I am so frustrated. Thought I had it licked except for occasional (3-5 inches apart) loose stitches. Today I started it up again and was having problems with my home-made pantograph (I don't think I'm dyslexic enough to understand what is happening with a panto,) anyway then the tension started to act up again. I fought with the tension, re-doing all the things I'd done before, and finally (after 4 hours of sewing and ripping) gave up, put King Tut on the top and it sewed beautifully. Of course, my technique is shot because I am so nervous and tense, but the beastly thing was done enough for me to take it off and look at it. I spent 6 hours ripping and marking with pins, and am ready now tomorrow to put it back on, fix the bad places, and finish the hideous thing. I'm glad it isn't my quilt; I never want to see it again. And I'm totally spooked about using Rainbows. I wonder how much of this is due to the color being black. I see from other posts that I'm not the only one with problems which does help. Is it better to use Rainbows both top and bottom? What is the general consensus about a good bobbin thread to use? Should I just put Rainbows in the bobbin? I really love the look, but this surely is not worth it. I appreciate everyone's help and hope someday to help somebody else.

Guest Linda S

If you want to save yourself some ripping time, you could take a small square or rectangle of fabric, place it on the side of the quilt -- where you have your extra batting and backing to clamp the quilt -- and stitch there until you fix your tension problems. Once you get it adjusted, then you can sew on the quilt, so you don't have to rip.

I always test my tension the same as Linda. Masterpiece is for piecing so it's bound to break with the speed of the LA.

Black thread can be dyed to death, expecially cotton. A lot of thread makers take the colors that don't sell and re-dye them to black. I had problems running rainbow on my "Gator" until I started using the magna-bobbins. I use the magna-delites with Rainbow (beautiful colors), no more problems. The bobbins and threads can be found on the

Fil-tech or Bobbin Central website.

Guess I'm "lucky", but I LOVE Masterpiece thread, both top & bobbin. I've even used it on batik quilts with no problems. I asked Bob from Superior threads why they didn't have more of it at Innovations last year and he said "Most longarms can't use it, but APQS machines are a lot more successful." Both of my Millenniums love it!

I do know that BLACK threads are weaker in any brand or fibre because of the intense over-dyeing, so maybe that's your problem. I do have trouble when doing ditch work with black Bottom Line thread.

As for quality and brands, you won't find much better than Superior, although I love my Auriful threads too.

Ok, redhotmama,

From your first paragraph. You said that you could see the whole eye of the needle, correct. Well, if your just seeing the whole eye & nothing else, then you needle bar is too high. You will need to adjust the needle bar down about 1/32" to make it correct and then you'll have to check your timing as well. This is why your breaking your top thread and just getting a few loops on the back. YOUR NEEDLE BAR DEPTH IS INCORRECT. zeke...........................................................

Archived