How important is SR vs manual for competition

When any of you quilt something intended for serious quilt show competition, do you always use stitch regulator mode or manual? I use SR almost all the time, but notice that sometimes the stitches aren't always the same length. I've gone through some machine adjustments with Amy, but still notice some variation in stitch length. How picky are judges when it come to consistency of stitch length, and do any of you with millies notice some variaton when using SR? I don't want to bother Amy if some variation is normal.

I have been quilting for someone who enters alot of shows and seems to win alot of ribbons....I always use my SR and have found there is some variation in the stitches which apparently is not a big deal when it comes to judging...but the variation is not big....I have just recently noticed that some of the stitches are getting bigger and did an adjustment of moving the SR wheel and the carriage wheel closer which seemed to help....but with hand guided machines, it is very hard to reach perfection....I am looking forward to the day when hand guided LA quilting is not competing with computerized quilting - but that said....still the stitches will look the same with the SR on either way. If you come up with something that helps them be even more consistant, please let me know....:)

I think there is a place for non-stitch regulated quilting, but not on a show quilts unless you are doing micro-stitching.

Stitch length issues would be a concern when your quilt makes the "last five" cut and the judge is trying to find something to separate one from the pack. By that time, a magnifying glass is being used and I ( personally) would be more concerned about starts and stops showing and wobbly binding, rather than stitch length. Those are my weaknesses.;)

Thanks for the input ladies. I'm wanting to do a wholecloth to enter into our guild's judged show next year, and didn't want to put in a lot of work only to find out that stitch length was not consistent enough. Amy had walked me through adjusting the screws at the back of the machine that connect the SR/ mother board, or something about a year ago, which greatly improved the overall consistency. I was just wondering if I should do some more adjusting, or leave it be.

Guest Linda S

There are plenty of people who enter quilt shows and win big ribbons who don't have a stitch regulator. Some of them don't even have a longarm! If you have a stitch regulator, it's a wonderful tool to use. If yours isn't working right, you need to be persistent with APQS until you get it stitching beautifully. One of the biggest points of pride with APQS is their stitch regulator, so make sure you get yours working right. I think when they don't hear back from us, they assume our problem is fixed. It seems that whatever is wrong with your machine is not solved by the original fix they gave you.

Archived