Superior Threads: Is there a Trick to Using This?

I'm having problems with Superior Threads and am wondering if there is a special trick I don't know about. I have used So Fine and Bottom Line, both in the needle, and I keep having my top thread breaking. This happens constantly and it's making me crazy (crazier)! I use Superior prewounds (cotton) in the bobbin and sometimes this breaks, too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gable

Gable,

I don't have a long arm but I went through the same thing when I purchased my first spool of Superior Thread (King Tut and Bottom Line). In my case, I found that I had to change needles, and adjust the thread tension for the top and bobbin on my machine before I could resolve the problem.

I ended up sending the Superior Threads people an email and I also contacted Libby Lehman through her website to get advice. In my case I was getting alot of eyelashes. If you don't get an answer here, they might be able to help you trouble shoot the problem.

Kathy

Hi Gable

I'd be surprised if it was the thread in this instance since both types of thread are breaking.

First thing would be to change the needle - preferably for one from another packet!

Check you have it threaded correctly - even after sewing for years you can miss a guide or not go right into the tension guide if you are thinking of other things - I know. Remember the very first guide above the cone should have the loop directly over the cone so the thread comes off above the centre of the cone not from one side which would cause drag.

Then I would loosen off both the top and bottom thread tensions until they are running freely (which will probably give a very loopy or loose stitch). If the thread is not breaking then tighten up the top tension a little, and check the back and see how the tension is going and adjust top or bottom.

If its still breaking, especially if you have broken a needle recently, you should check your hook assembly for burrs, as well as the throat plate. Check out the troubleshooting pages of this website for info on that.

Hope that helps.

Sue in Australia

Guest Linda S

The first thing I would do is adjust my tension!! It sounds as though your tension is too tight. If you have both top and bobbin threads breaking, it's most likely too tight on both ends. I couldn't live without my Towa Tension Gauge. I highly recommend it.

Linda

By the way, I use all Superior threads -- So Fine, Bottom Line, King Tut, Rainbows, MonoPoly, Glitter, you name it -- no problems -- you just have to adjust your tension.

Hi there,

We've been having quite a similar discussion in "The trouble with Tut" and maybe you want to check that "thread" for answers there too.

I LOVE Superior Threads of each and every kind. But I think when you balance the weight of the top and bottom threads it does help. My favorite combination is King Tut on top and So Fine! on the bottom.

Try to keep from giving up. There is a solution there and once you find it you'll be so pleased. ~~ Eva H.

I also love Superior threads and have used them for several years on my DM and on my new Liberty that I have had over a month now. I purchased several bobbin cases that I have adjusted for the different threads. I use prewound bobbins with Bottom Line and I have a case for those, and the other threads - Poly and King Tut and Rainbows. I do have a Towa and I love it. This seems to work out well for me. I also test out on a piece/ sandwich to the side of the quilt before I start going. That gives me a chance to make sure I have it correct.

So DON'T GIVE UP!! All machines a just a bit different, but Superior Threads are fantastic and look so wonderful on the quilts.

Archived