How would you quilt this?

I see it is a QOV, so your first decision is how much time you want to spend. It could have custom quilting, a less intense treatment, or an attractive edge-to-edge design. The print in the border can provide a key element--leaves. A leafy E2E in a very pale green thread would be a great idea. You could E2E the body, use a matching dark green in the first border--again with a leaf design, and then E2E the border. Or the border could get beadboard or piano keys to provide a frame. I imagine 90% of the QOV quilts are presented to men, so feathers or girly designs may not be appropriate.

A more intensive treatment would be quilting white in the white and dark green on the green and the print. Your designs could follow the piecing and the on-point squares of white could be home to leafy wreaths or scrolls. Traveling across the quilt to implement your designs is also something to consider, time-wise. CC's across one quilting field will save time and be very effective. You can divide any larger block into smaller units (grids) with a marking pen and continue the geometric feel of the piecing.

Maybe others will offer some design help, though it's a busy next few days for most so bring this thread back up on Friday if you don't get many responses.

Great quilt, BTW!

I would custom continuous curve it!!!! Line dancing books would give you some variations on the CC. I don't have a drawing program to draw on the pictures but think maybe I NEED one!!!! In the larger white sq. onpoint I'd cc the seams so it looks like a flower, () on all 4 seams. It's a pretty quilt. Around here all our QoV are Red,White & Blue combos. It's nice to see some others.

Thanks ladies.

It is the square and rectangle nature of the blocks that is really throwing me.

This is for a unit that has really had it rough in A'fgn. They have 400 unit members (we are trying to get a count of how many are female) and many would due better with something not R, W, and B we are told, so there is quite a variety of quilts (plus needed 400 by March, you take anything that is not juvenile at this point).

Really depends how much you want to do on this. It has lots of prime real estate for showy quilting if that is what you want to do. If I were doing custom on this I would do a combination of feathers, straight lines or grid work and cc's. Stencils could really be your friend here. You could put in stars and stripes or other patriotic designs. If you wanted to do an e2e then Linda's idea of a leafy design is a great one. Just enjoy and think of the soldier, sailor, airman or Marine that might be getting it and let that lead your way.

Archived