TOTALLY stumped - Quilt Done!

I have NO IDEA what to do on this thing. I have spent about 2 and 1/2 hours trying different things and I am totally stumped. I need to get this to the customer by Thursday of this week. She wanted custom and was mostly concerned about having a motif in the setting triangles.

The blocks are too big for my machine (I have a Liberty that only gives me about 11.5 inches quilting space) and these are sixteen inches corner to corner.

HELP!

post--13461907715401_thumb.jpg

I see CC's in the print/pieced areas, maybe some fun and spiky background fill for the blue background that you could do in smaller chunks, and a slightly different background fill in the white?

Someone is going to chime in here any minute now with the perfect suggestion, but maybe this will give you some king of start.

Also I'm wondering about thread, maybe a variagated, but I'm wondering about the white parts. If the cc is'n't perfect, a varigated thread would really show up and by the same token, a white/neutral threead (in the CC's is too light for the dark areas. There is just way too much contrast!

You're right -- that is a hard one. The customer went to a lot of work piecing the stars, which I think are the basis of the design, so I would SID those (black patches) and tamp down the multi-colored with small wavey lines going back and forth in the same direction as the fabric print. I'd do pebbling on the white or McTavishing.

On the black border, I would choose a sashing/border design that coordinates well with the stars and stitch it using a variegated orange or orange and blue thread. I like Myrna's idea of breaking up the blue setting triangles, to give you a workable space, and to bring it into scale with the smaller star pieces. Perhaps some radiating lines might work.

Joan, You won't believe it but I came up with the very idea you just gave me first thing and rejected it (no particular reason). I wasn't going to SID the black stars, but I could. I am also working on radiating lines in the setting triangles and in the black corners, extending out to the border (not sure if you can see it but there is a 2 inch black border all the way around. I am continuing the radiating lines until they come to a point under the setting triangle. Will post a pic when Im done.

At first I hated this quilt and now I'm starting to have some fun figuring it out. (but only SOME, fun, not a lot! LOL)

I will use a variaged green in the setting triangles and the black border.

I will probably gpo ahead and do CC in the white. She doesn't want to spend too much money here and dense quilting would take too long.

It'll be interesting to see how it comes out.

Wannabe, I drew exactly that and didn't care for the sun, so I ended up with radiating lines, centered on the border (longest line straight up to apex of triangle, etc) and then extending out to the edge of the quilt.

I wanted to do variagated thread and chickened out at the last minute because I have had problems in the past with tension, and I didn't want the headache today. As it turned out, I ended up having to frog for 2 hours because the CC I started to do in the blocks didn't work out. There are so many small pieces and she didn't iron the seams open where they all come together and the hopping foot really doesn't like that. Some of the thicknesses have to be at least 1/4 inch.

shana, I used a new OMNI color in the blue spaces called "Waterloo". I'm afraid that name was somewhat of a foreshadow of what my day was going to be like!

So, at 4:30, after starting at 10:30 this morning I called it a day. But I do think I have good idea what I'm going to do. It's not going to be spectacular but it'll be done and I will have learned some valuable lessons in the meantime.

This quilt is only about 36" x 36". I willl post a pic tomorrow when it's done.

I am putting to use at least 2-3 of the suggestions here and for that I am super grateful for this forum! I sure was stumped. Thanks, everyone!

Archived