How common is it that shades of thread change?

I was just wondering in other peoples experiences how often they have reordered a particular favourite shade number of thread, only to find out that it is now different, darker or lighter - completely different.... I just have discovered this for the first time after reordering some of my favourites only to find that they have changed (worse thing was I ordered 2 cones of the worst offender, and not cheap and easy to ship back to US from here)

I am pretty disappointed that this happens. Is this a common occurrence? I know when knitting a jumper for example to make sure that all die lots are the same, and suppose I should expect the same with threads.

yes I did complain to the manufacturer and they said I could send it back, but to be honest the shipping back to the US will cost more than a couple of cones of thread so not worth it to me. I suppose it is just going to have to be one of those things, just a little frustrated that the continuity of ending one cone and just popping on the next is not going to be possible (and the new shade is not as nice either). Apparantly they source their raw thread supply from different places and they react differently to the dies, and they are adding more thread lubricant to minimise breakage too which also is a factor.

Like you Ferret I will have to make sure I have enough of the same die lot to complete a quilt. It is annoying, but like you say may be the nature of the die. More annoying is I ordered another cone of brilliant white for my first wholecloth, not knowing how much thread it will use, but now can't use it with the same shade number that I already have as it is so completely different.

Oh well, moan over I suppose.....

Hi Janette.

That happened to me with Superior. It really annoyed me. I called in the order,giving the color numbers and was suprised when I received the colors that were not what I expected. When I called, they made it clear they changed the colors and kept the number/name the same. How would a customer know they changed it? I also tried to get a discontinued color in SF that I needed. Oh well! Nothing is perfect.

Sorry it is so difficult for you across the pond.

If you can't find an older color of thread, post a request here - ya never know who's got a cone or two, gathering dust in a corner somewhere..... Wait, our threads are supposed to be protected right? Mine aren't gathering dust, no they're not.......

Originally posted by barbm

If you can't find an older color of thread, post a request here - ya never know who's got a cone or two, gathering dust in a corner somewhere..... Wait, our threads are supposed to be protected right? Mine aren't gathering dust, no they're not.......

You're probably not supposed to put them in plastic tubs either then, cause I don't do that either.....

A year or so ago there was a discussion on another forum on this very topic. Colours were very obviously different from cone to cone and several members posted pictures to prove it. The major manufacturer (not Superior) denied the issue existed even though the pictures showed otherwise. The company actually state on their home page that their thread colours are consistent, I am not sure who they think they are kidding. Having seen how poor their customer service is I would not be tempted to buy any of their products.

Sue

Archived