What is the proper way..what works best for you?

I'm wondering what is the best way to baste down the quilt top....as you quilt, do you baste down and quilt that row or do you baste down the complete top then go back and quilt one row at at time?

I'm thinking the top would be more square if the whole thing was basted down, then unroll it and quilt one row at a time. That's now how I do it but I'm wondering if that's the better way.

Rita

I pin-baste the quilting field, marking on my leaders the width of the quilt top and maybe the center. I never stitch-baste--experience has taught me that sometimes there is more going on in the interior of the quilt that needs special care, so I am not locked into a specific "fit" for the top. I float the top, pin-baste as I advance and adjusting so each seam line is straight as I go. I make sure the width of the quilt and the center mark all line up so the quilt will be reasonably square as I advance. If I am leaving the borders for last, I will SID the first border seam after all adjustments are made in the center.

If you want to stabilize the entire quilt, SID the blocks and border seams before you stitch down the outside edge. This will allow you to stitch a row at a time without distortion. Lots of quilters will do this so they can minimize thread changes. They stabilize and then quilt all the red, all the brown, etc, instead of changing thread with each pass.

Works for me--and that's all that really matters. Try each suggestion so you can find what works for you.

I tried once basting a whole top, but evidentally didn't baste close enough. I had some tucks on the back as a result and did a tremendous amount of frogging. Linda gives good advice. Just make sure the outer borders aren't stretched on. Ripple borders are much easier to deal with that ones that are too short.

Guest Linda S

I generally just baste the sides as I roll, unless it's a custom quilt with lots of SID. Then, I do basically what Linda described (only I don't float the quilt), and when I have the whole thing SID'd, then I'll go back to the top and fill in the quilting. I use side clamps made from an old QSnap frame, sort of like PVC pipe, and that has virtually eliminated any tucks in the back.

I've owned this machine for 5 years and see I have a lot to learn.

I've never floated a big quilt, only wallhangings or baby quilts. And I always stitch down the side seams as soon as I roll it, then quilt the entire section before I roll again.

It would be really nice to spend a few days with an experienced longarm quilter...as in one on one lessons. I've got to Houston and taken as many as 6 classes the one year and have come home frustrated. There's usually so many to a class, not enuff machines and this kind of stuff isn't taught there.

I'm still frustrated with this x-block top I've got loaded. The light colored zig zag and diamonds have me totally stumped. sigh I do need to get it done and off the frame this weekend so I better come up with something tomorrow. :)

Rita

Dory, I also tried basting a whole quilt once. It didn't work out so well for me either. Now the only time I baste an entire quilt is when doing several small quilts with the same backing. If I lived closer to Myrna you can bet I would be there for one on one classes. She is an incredible teacher and super person all around!

I float my tops and usually use Linda R's method. I did baste the edges of a whole quilt once (thinking that was a good idea) and ended up having to rip it out because the middle was a little too funky and needed adjustments made. I have a tape measure on my pick up bar and on the front roller bar and line up the center and edges on the same markings as I go down. I do pin them. After quilting an area, I do stitch down the edges of the borders to make it easier to trim and bind.

I baste the edges as I go but I'm usually doing some kind of E2E. A lot of my customers are new to quilting instead of tying. I set the basting within the 1/4" and use the channel lock to stitch as well as the centering tape to make sure everything stays square. This way my customers know the quilt is square and they can leave the basting inside the seam allowance when they apply their binding.

The few quilts I have done custom I use a combination of Linda's and Myrna's methods - SIDing and pin-basting.

I had a couple of days 1 on 1 with Myrna and can highly recommend her teaching! I learned lots and am building up my freehand skills!

Archived