SID - Seams pressed open-- PIC added

I made a Carpenter's Square quilt and was thinking about SID but remembered reading somewhere that you shouldn't SID over seams that are pressed open because if you stitch through the stitches in the seam stitching it could break open the seam.

A suggestion was made to stitch just barely onto the dark fabric rather than in the ditch.

Any suggestions.

Update: Thanks for your information. Here is a picture of the quilt top and as you can see it is ALL SID. Is it still ok to SID or do you have other suggestions for quilting.

post--1346190798977_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by hmerrill

You do run risks of breaking threads but I've done it with success. LOL it is a breaking the rules kind of thing. Another option might be to do a wavy stitch over it.

Yes as Heidi said....it's one of those rules that I don't listen to either. Have done several, and so far no troubles.

I've had other quilters debate this question, and here's my 2 cents...

So, I think it could be a problem if you were planning on just SID the whole quilt. However usually on a custom quilt there's a lot of quilting and more than likely it's near or crosses over some of the seams... Even so, one probably won't be pulling on the two pieces of fabric joined by the pressed open seam - right? The fabric is being quilted in a "sandwich" which holds the top to the back with the batting in between, so pulling apart those pieces even if they are only SID would be difficult at best.

TMI? Bottom line: don't worry about it...

PS: Many of us tend to "catch" some of the fabric in the SID anyway...

I SID on open seams all the time and it is not a problem. The quilt job ends up looking a lot nicer, because the bulk of the seam allowance doesn't show and the patches in the quilt look a lot nicer. With the superior strength of today's threads, I don't think thread breakage is an issue any longer.

Archived