batting tubes clamps

Since I am working on my own quilt right now, I am trying a few new to me things. I normally pin my quilt top to the top roller but wanted to try the full float this time. In the past when I have attempted this, I did not care for the way the top creeps around when quilting. So, I took my cardboard batting tubes and made clamps. So far I am pretty happy with how straight and true these are keeping the quilt top.

Just thought I would share since sharing is what I love to do!

Sherry,

I have ordered clamps from Donita Reeves THREE times and I still haven't gotten them. Why are they so hard to get? Seems like something every quilter could use.

Donita uses them if she needs to put a completed quilt that has already been removed BACK ON to fix a spot or two. Can't believe the cardboard works!

Exactly what markers are those? I've never seen any that look like your picture. Where does one get them? Is there more than one color? Thanks.

Hugs, Joy

Hi Joy

Why wait any longer? Make your own! I have used the cardboard tube clamps for re-attaching a completed quilt for about forever but having the really long ones to keep your top hanging true is wonderful!

The Marvey air erasor pens are made by Uchida. Ronda Kae Beyer turned me onto them a while ago. You can order them from Checkers or you can find them on my website as well. They do come in pink, and white but the only ones I carry are the purple. I tried the others and did not like them as well.

Yeah, I know it's a pin cushion....but from that angle it

looks like an EASY button. :P :P EASY button would sure be nice

on a the challenging top I have waiting for me.

Thank you for sharing your idea. I have 2 rollers in the

corner, hated to toss them. Now I have a use for them.

A friend made some roller clamps out of some very strong

PVC and then cut out a piece so it fits snugly on a roller.

They fit right over the quilt and roller when I have to put a

quilt back on in a hurry. I like the idea of a wide "grabber"

How big a chunk did you take out of your roller...an inch?

Did you just use a jigsaw?

I LOVE the quilting you've done on this quilt! I missed the boat to post on your first thread I guess. I did recognize the patten. That was my favorite quilt at MQS! I am so sorry that Ronda was offended. Knowing you Sherry, I know it was not intentional! I'm sure she will forgive you now that you have set the record straight. It is such a shame; you were just trying to share your beautiful quilting with all of us. Please do not let this keep you from continued sharing. It would be such a loss for us all!

Peace, love and harmony...........I'm sending your way!

Too funny Bonnie, I dont seem to be able to get my easy button to work like that either!!

Such beautiful work! I aspire to be this good one day............

Thanks for sharing ideas, tips and tricks.

Tish

Originally posted by Bonnie

Hey, I have an "Easy Button" and I can tell you from personal experience it doesn't do what Sherry's does.....I guess me and my button need to go out back and have a little talk...MAYBE I can get it to help a bit more.

Wish I had that easy button too!!:P

Anyhow - as to the batting tubes - the thinner wrapping paper ones are

not strong enough I don't think. My former boss had a bunch of these made

out of the PVC tubes, for when a backing starts to sag and such - when I

bought her machine from her, I was given only 2 of these. I really want and

need more! The last quilt I did was murder! I did cut off some little chunks

from my batting tube - with a knife - but they are not as strong, and once

it bends and gets a kink, it is really wimping. I want something with MORE

grip. These are a thin walled 2" pvc pipe, but we can not find a source for

it. I do not care what color they are, but these are grey. Not at Menards or

Home Depot or such. Around here it is all twice as thick..... any ideas? What

I have now is about 1/32" thick....

I had my husband make me a set of these several years ago from my Hobbs batting tubes. I use them to put a practice piece on next to the quilt I am working on if I have issues with thread or tension. Then I don't have to frog stitch any more than possible. I also use that piece to practice a design once or twice. I draw a similar block, etc with a purple marker and then quilt it in a couple different ways. Sometimes I decide to do something totally different and then I don't have to pick stitches on the actual quilt.

And it is wonderful for putting a quilt back on the machine when you notice somethings got missed or needs fixing.

Sherry your quilts are always great. Thanks for sharing!!

Sherry - I forgot to say I really like that scalloped edge / border treatment

on the quilt you have in the photo - can't wait to see what you put in there

yes, feathers probably - but you do them so well!;)

Did you machine stitch / piece that? So nice and flowing!

O.K. I know sometimes I'm a little slow in the brain case, but I haven't a clue what you guys are talking about..............;) & I thought I had read everything on this forum....I guess not.

I mean, I get that some-how yous are useing fabric tubes or PVC pipes to hold your quilts on the rollers but I'm not sure how you are going about it..........:( I can see (from Sherry's pic) how they would be handy for a full-float, or if you need to put a quilt back on the fix or finnish it, but I'm not sure how they would help with a sagging back.

Do you cut a strip of the cardboard out (how big a piece), or do you just slice it all the way down, & how would this cutting happen, like with a table-saw, or a large knife.

And would any plastic pipe work, does it have to be bendy/ flixable. What size should the pipe be, & should I have differant sizes/with differant size cuts in them????????????????????????????????????????????

So Sorry, :( for all the questions, I'm not getting this, be kind to the newbie please!! & fill in the blanks.

O.k. Gerry - Yes, you just slice the cardboard tube so that there is an open

side, so not remove any extra. These work for awhile until it gets bent all

the way open, then it won't be very tight anymore.

As for helping fix a sagging backing here goes: Ya know how some are

pieced - either with blocks or just yardage? You try and always have it

square and straight before you load it on your machine - but heh - we are

not perfect! And as you quilt along - there is different areas of stretch and

give - sometimes you can see an area sag, while the rest is nice and tight.

My biggest pet peve would be to have puckers on a backing! So..... I use

these to hold it tighter. I kind of pull the backing and roll it tight, then snap

a tube in place. Works better than pins, if they are tight enough.

The really important thing is to remember to remove them before you roll

and advance your quilt. Using pins and forgetting might put rips in your

backing, these won't do that - but you have to remove them first! I just

found out where we can get the PVC pipe I need, it is at a vaccum cleaner

place - they use it for central VAC units. I will give you more info after I stop

there and get some!!

Archived