thread breaking

Hi all....hope you can give me some advice here!! I am using King Tut on top and Omni on the bottom and the top thread keeps breaking!! I have never had a problem before so don't know exactly what to do! I loosened the top tension and took the thread out of one of the loops in the thread path. If you have a suggestion, I will gladly accept it!!!

Thanks a million!

Della, I recently had a king tut I had to quit on. It just wouldn't quit the breaking. I gave it to my friend to try. Others have worked fine.

At the moment I am tearing my hair out over a monofilament. Sewed great 4 rows and now it is breaking!!! And skipping the bobbin thread.....

I love quilting! When everything is smooth.... GOOD LUCK!!!!

When I use King Tut on George I only use one of the holes on each of the 3-hole guides. I do have ceramic fishing pole guides on George between the guides in the long stretches of thread. The ceramic ones help control the thread whipping.

Another idea, strange but true, would be to check your bobbin for nicks or burrs. I have a new sewing/embroidery machine and all of a sudden the thread that I had been using in many projects started breaking at the needle eye/bobbin hole. Took it in to see what was happening, they finally found the nick on the bobbin that was cutting my thread. Changed it and it now works great.

Hope the King starts working right for you soon.

Thanks for your help! I forgot to say that my mahine is a Freedom in case that makes a difference. I did change needles because it seems to be breaking right at the needle...in fact thread looks shredded when it breaks. I took thread out of one loop on the thread path...will try another. It seems that I can sew quit awhile without breakage and then it will break two or three times in a row. Stitch looks pretty good...just a real aggravation!!! But love the look of the thread!

here's what i'd try

rethread. just in case there's something you can't see

thorough cleaning - KT is cotton - therefore linty. have you been spraying the boobin area and case with air at each bobbin change?

sewers aide or silicone spray (i spray all my cones no matter what type now)

a new larger needle - 4.0

loosen your quilt sandwich

slow down

Hi Dell, you might also try a new needle if it is shredding it may be that you have a little sharp area where the thread is passing through...it is seems to be after a few stitches each time, try the sewers aide as maybe you have a bad area on the thread...and then I would just make your top tension as loose as you can and then gradually tighten it back up til you get a good stitch and it doesn't break...

Archived