loud noise!!!!!

Happily quilting along when all of a sudden millie made a horrible sound! The needle had come loose and broke. Part of the needle was jammed tight in the hook assembly. We removed the hook retaining finger and took out 2 tiny tiny screws and the needle piece came out. We put the finger back on and the screws back in. She sounds wonderful once again but she won't sew!!!! The hook assembly isn't moving at all so it doesn't pick up the bobbin thread. Any ideas?

Originally posted by cblevins

Happily quilting along when all of a sudden millie made a horrible sound! The needle had come loose and broke. Part of the needle was jammed tight in the hook assembly. We removed the hook retaining finger and took out 2 tiny tiny screws and the needle piece came out. We put the finger back on and the screws back in. She sounds wonderful once again but she won't sew!!!! The hook assembly isn't moving at all so it doesn't pick up the bobbin thread. Any ideas?

Cheri, which "tiny tiny screws" did you take out???? And when you say she "sounds wonderful," does that mean power's on to the head and she's making noise, but the hook isn't moving???? Photos would help immensely....

Hi Cheri,

Check that the hook retaining finger is not in too close, it is adjustable and there has to be a space to allow the thread to go past.

It's possible that the jam has upset your timing but you won't know that until the hook assembly moves, check to see that the screw that holds the assembly onto the shaft hasn't come loose and is allowing the shaft to move without spinning the hook assembly.

This is NOT good! Everything worked and sounded great but the hook would not turn. The shaft that turns the hook assembly wasn't turning either so we removed the plate underneath. It was covered with little white teeth!. I guess when the needle jammed it stripped the teeth off the gear that turns the hook assembly. What now???

Oh, Cheri, that's probably not good!! I'm assuming you mean the plate that covers the gear box. If it's covered in little white teeth, it sure sounds like you stripped a gear! But don't panic yet - send an email off to Dawn, and then call APQS in the morning. It might be something else innocuous, but I'm afraid your machine may be in for a "spa treatment" in lovely Carroll.....

Cheri, when I thought I had screwed up my gears in 2010, I was told that they can only be repaired at the factory. It can't hurt to contact Angela and run this issue by her, as well. You might want to move this thread to "APQS Help" - the service techs sometimes monitor that forum, even when it's after hours in Iowa.

Good luck!

Cheri,

If you have little white teeth in the gearbox unfortunately you've stripped the delrin gear inside and it will need to be replaced. It will need a return trip to the factory and then back to the machinist to replace the gear. This isn't typically something even an experienced dealer can do. Give us a call in the morning and ask for Amy or me to schedule an appointment. Talk to you in the morning!

Wow, that's a first for me as well. Of all time that I've been working on machines, I've never come across something like this. You must of had the machine running pretty fast for this to happen. Those gears don't normally strip out that easily. A spa treatment will be good for it though. zeke.......................

Archived