Any Pointers to an easier way to square the backing fabric?

I use the same process I use for squaring fat quarters or yardage for cutting strips..just on a larger scale.

I drape the fabric on my top roller -- the canvas has enough grip to hold the fabric in place while I slide the top layer right our left to get rid of any "wrinkles".

This is what I tell my customers on my "preparing your quilt for a longarm quilter" tip sheet:

Square your backing

---You can do this by folding it in half and “sliding the raw edge” to one side or the other until the fold hangs without any rippling (much like squaring up a fat quarter for rotary cutting) then fold in quarters and using your rotary cutter and rulers trim it even.

---A good video of this technique for fat quarters can be found at http://onlinequilting.wordpress.com/2009/08/14/squaring-up-your-fabric/ --- this concept can be applied to larger backing pieces either with the help of a friend, or by lying it on the floor or a table large enough to fold it in half, selvedge edges together.

---After squaring your backing, measure it again to make sure that it is a total of 6-8 inches larger than the top

post--13461908051172_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all for your input. I learned alot. I will put this information to good use.

I have had my millie for a few years but was afraid of it. With such a large investment, I was afraid I would break it. I have PPP'd alot but only have had a few actual quilts on the Millie. I have about 30 quilts to quilt. So wish me luck!

If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will post pictures of my progress.

Dustee

Your thoughts about "breaking it" are shared by each and every new owner! Believe me, everything on it is fixable--usually by the owner with the help of the manual, support from the home office, or, many times, a forum member. And in contrast, not a lot of it is "breakable"!

Once you get a few quilts finished, the intimidation is gone and you can relax more--and quilt more.

Bring on the pictures!!:)

Yes, I am about 1 1/2 hours from the Factory in Carrol, IA and 2 1/2 hours from Des Moines. So I am a lucky girl.

I think what scared me the most. I only had my Millie a couple of months, broke a needle and threw the machine out of time. Mark at APQS was able to steer me in the right direction. I got a hold of the techs in Des Moines. They e-mailed the instructions and talked me through the timing with no problems. But I was scared to death of my Millie after that experience. With my practicing and a few quilts later I am feeling more confident.

Thanks, Dustee

Archived