SID, when the ditch is on the "other side"

Hi! I've seen several good discussions on SID but I have a question and hope I can describe it. I'm working on embroidered blocks with a small 1" sashing. Some seams of the block have been pressed towards the block so I actually end up stitching on the sashing to stay 'in the ditch'. Is this OK? I try to pull the seam apart a bit to hide the stitching. Most seams are pressed away from the block so it's easier to SID on those seams, but I fell like I'm jumping from the ditch on one side, then the other when I come to a corner and turn. What is the best way to handle this?

Personally I jump in no matter where it is. I think when you leave the space and if the block isn't perfectly square it shows WAY more than if you follow the ditch regardless of which side it's on. But like all quilting rules it's what works best or you.

I go whichever side the ditch is on and it works out fine. Obviously, the quiltmaker who takes the time to press the seams all to one side instead of haphazard, will end up with a nicer looking quilting job. I find that the customers that don't take the time to press the seams to one side, generally don't have as 'detailed eyes' and don't even notice the difference.

Originally posted by midnitesun

Another question; Do you ladies do the 'stitch in the ditch' with invisible thread, or whatever color is complementary to the quilt? Hope I made sense here

Most generally whatever color goes best with. The last queen sized quilt I did in November was going to have hand quilting in the blocks, but the piecer wanted all the seams ditched. Green and brown quilt, but she planned to use a lighter brown for her hand quilting so that's what I also used. Fell out of the ditch a couple of times, due to pressed seams bouncing all over the place, some even bouncing in the middle of the block, but fixed it with a matching brown marker. Wasn't a show quilt by any means so she didn't care about the marker, and with a well matched color you have to get a magnifier out to see it.

Thanks everyone - this helps a bunch. I'm cross-hatching in these blocks so did SID first, then as I'm cross-hatching I going over some of the SID so I can keep a continuous line going. It does seem to look better if I stay in the ditch, even if it's on the sashing side, but getting a little thread build-up.

I thought it would be best to SID each block before cross-hatching so the block doesn't distort. Maybe that wasn't the right thing to do?

Archived