What do you charge for basting?

I've had customers request that I machine baste their quilts for hand quilting. In the past, I have charged my minimum fee ($35) for this, no matter the size of the quilt, since I figure it is a kind of set-up fee. Is that similar to what others charge? One customer thinks it is high, and I want to be sure it is fair.

I charge 1/2 a cent per square inch. So a 100 X 100 would be $50. I think your $35 was a fair price and perhaps that can be your minimum. I know the alternative to machine basting is either on-the-floor safety-pinning or try-to-find-a-bunch-of-tables-to-push-together safety-pinning. You're talking hours of back-breaking work. $35 seems cheap to me to skip that chore!

My friend charges $35 to $45 depending on the size of the quilt to be basted. She also offers either regular thread or water soluble thread for those who are planning to wash their quilts after hand or machine quilting. If that thread is used, heat must be avoided until the thread has been fully removed or it turns into hard plastic splinters!

Archived