The Secret to Pantographs & George?

quilts4myluv

We don't really have the capability of using pantographs, but we can freehand quilt in the style of a pantograph. The trick is keeping the size consistent. You might draw lines, or marks to hit, as you work your way across the quilt. Alternatively you could create a stencil as Madelyn suggested. Or, another way is to practice your design until you really know it well, and then just freehand it all over your quilt in the same way you would if stippling or meandering.

Hope this helps! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking the other day, wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of tracing paper similar to the old carbon kind they sold for use with a tracing wheel to mark darts? We could just put the paper between any design and the quilt top, trace away with our little pizza-style wheel then have the design marked nice and tidy with no muss, no fuss till we were finished and the quilt was eventually washed. Ah yes, that's my wish.

(Of course, if my wish has already been granted, please be sure and let me know so I can run out and get what I need to begin!!!)

Laura in OH

Laura in OH

I have seen ads in the back of some of my quilting magazines about adhesive backed patterns for continuous machine quilting. The company is called Quilting Made Easy www.QuiltingMadeEasy.com. Maybe this would be just what you need. :) The ad says "no marking...just stick, stitch and tear away". I have pointed this out to some of my friends that do their quilting with their dsm and want to do more than stipple or SID. None of them have tried it yet so I'm not sure how well they work, but something to check out anyway. ;)

Laura: There is a paper called Saral...it is almost like waxed paper (with a white coating) and you can use it to transfer designs. I haven't used it in years and can't remember if you just draw on the paper with some pressure to transfer...I don't think it required one of those spikey pizza wheels. Check out an art supply store for Saral paper (and make darn sure it will wash out of your fabric before you use it). That's the closest I can think of.

• 1 month later...

I really had no problem removing the freezer paper, just tears away and what little specks are left only took a few minutes to remove with my flat edge tweezers. It's cheep and works well. You can also audition a drawing to see if it's what you want in an area before quilting it. I also use the pink slimline pencil for tracing so no residue is transferred on the thread.:D:D:D

Have you tried tracing the pantograph onto tracing paper such as Golden Threads? You then stack up the number of layers of paper as the number of rows you need to quilt, and pin or staple them so that the papers don't slip. Put the largest needle you have in your George or DSM. Don't thread it. Now stitch through the whole stack of papers (with the traced pattern on top). You have created a series of patterns you can pin or spray baste or tack down with elmer's glue dots, stitch through it, and because it is already perforated by the needle, it really tears away easily.

Another thing I have done is to trace onto freezer paper, then stitch through the freezer paper with a large needle. Now you can use your pounce to transfer the design to the quilt without having to make multiple copies of the design. The pounce marks the design very well through the holes your needle made, and you just use the stitched pattern over and over for each rwo. I prefer this to stitching through either freezer paper or tracing paper. Give it a try.

What might be fun to try is using Golden Threads paper which tears easy, make you own designs on it that would actually fit your quilt and use Roxanne's baste glue which can be put on by drops. It should hold long enough for you to quilt the area. I might try that with my George. I"ll post if it works well. The rolls of designs by the Quilting Made Easy are great. It's just that I have quilts that don't match with their sizes. So one way or another, a new methods needs to come forth......

• 1 year later...

Archived