Thanks to all you helpful people!

I saw Meg's post asking for advice on backtracking in another forum, and it got me to thinking. If the people on this forum can't help, I don't think anyone can! It seems there's no problem that can't be solved.

For a while now, my quilts were not advancing evenly. It seemed they rolled more tightly on one side than the other - and I would end up tugging the top to get it to stay straight. A couple of times, I ended up with a bottom corner about an inch higher than the other. Finally, as I was reading through the forums I realized that even though my table was square and my take-up bar was level, maybe either my leveler bar or my quilt-top bar was off. Yep, that was it. One end of the bar (I don't remember which one!) was about 1/4" higher than the other. I adjusted it and my quilts have been so wonderfully straight ever since.

Then there was my tension issue. I can't tell you how many times I had to rip out a row of quilting because of the flat-lining on the back as I would go from right to left when working at the front of the machine. With all the advice on here (from Dawn and Shana in particular), I finally figured out how to "set" the bobbin and then make the appropriate adjustments on the upper tension, designated different bobbin cases for different threads, and realized that my machine likes certain thread combinations better than others.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. After five years, I think I might finally have a future in longarming!

Originally posted by Primitive1

Thanks Louise, I had not thought of one of the bars being uneven and I struggle with that too, I thought maybe it was my leaders were stretched or something. So you have helped me too!

Ditto here! I am going to check mine. I'm not off by 1" but it definitely rolls tighter one side vs the other and I end up off by about 1/2".

That makes 4 of us going to check our bars now. Before changing out my table, I didn't have a problem, but noticed that the quilts are rolling up tighter on one end than the other and I had already checked my leaders. I hope your helpfulness indeed helps the rest of us!

Archived