Can someone help? I was quilting along when I noticed something on the floor below my table. It's a black disk about the size of a penny and filled with grey colored grease. I can't figure out where it came from to put it back. Now I have some small areas of grease on my quilt. Any ideas what this is and where it belongs? Also, how to get the grease out of the quilt?

Thank you,

Carol

Carol, there are a number of threads that talk about how to get the grease out, or someone more knowledgeable about it will chime in, I hope.

As to that little black disk, clean it out with degreaser, then use a little bit of super glue to put it back over the lower gear shaft end. It's designed to keep grease from leaking out of the gear box around that shaft. It's just below and behind your hook assembly.

Is the grease on a customer's quilt or your own? I have used GoJo the mechanic's waterless hand cleaner to get grease stains out of clothing here (even old ones that have gone through the dryer!). I just smear some of the GoJo on and leave it until I am ready for that load of laundry. Now for a quilt you may not want that method, shampoo and dishwashing liquid are also ideas to use. When I made my first daughter's wedding dress some black sewing machine bar grease got on the skirt. I took it to the bathroom sink and washed it with hot water and whatever soap was there at the time. Came out great and left no marks or stains. (I was using Casa Satin from Joann's that is labeled machine wash and dry, I won't use any other for the wedding dresses now. I even washed and dried the second daughter's dress twice and you couldn't tell that I had.)

Archived