question about wool and bearding

Has anybody ever had an issue with wool bearding with a dark backer? I haven't and have a customer who just dropped off a quilt. She had brought white batting and I told her we might end up with a problem. I'm thinking I can use wool and shouldn't have an issue but if not I can always order a black batting. I only have a craft size on hand.

I haven't ever had a problem with wool bearding, but black would be safe for sure. The only batt I've every had issue with the bearding was Warm and Natural on dark back and it wasn't severe but it did show. Of course, it was an art quilt with too much light on the front for a black batt and the W&N was provided by the customer. Luckily, I warned her ahead of time and gave her some alternatives, but she still wanted to use it. I think she was a little surprised when she saw it.

I know I had problems with a pure wool batting from our equivalent of Joanne's bearding badly, ten years ago. I now use a wool 60/40 poly and have no problems.

I am using it with a foundation pieced Batik top and batik backing fabric now with no problems.

Lots of photos of the progress of this quilt are on my blog.

Archived