Classes - Need advice

I'm thinking about taking some classes, but am at a loss at to what to pick.

Has anyone take the following classes and what can you tell us about them? Which would you take if you had to choose?

Is there life after stippling - Linda V Taylor

Mystical Florals - Jamie Wallen

Feathering Your Borders or Splish Splash Feathers - Deloa Jones

Classic Quilt to Fill - Jodi Robinson

Thanks again!

Caroline,

I've had Jamie, Deloa and Jodi and they are all excellent teachers. Jamie is one of the most patient teachers and so relaxing. He quilts more tensly but you can use parts of his style on many quilts. Delao's feathering class is packed with ideas and some really cool ways of doing feather borders. I love Jodi's approach to planning the quilting design. She breaks it into easy to manage pieces.

Oh to have your problem. If I was in the right place at the right time I would be taking all of those. If all of them isn't an option I would probably work down the list as you have it there. Sorry Deloa, but I have at least already had classes with you :)

Ferret

I thought Jamie's class would be too artistic for me. But I loved it. It's easy to make his designs and your quilting looks stunning. Jamie is just as wonderful as DeLoa. I haven't taken from the other ladies, but they sound like great classes.

So, I've decided to take all these classes:

Is there life after stippling - Linda V Taylor

Mystical Florals - Jamie Wallen

Feathering Your Borders - Deloa Jones

Classic Quilt to Fill - Jodi Robinson

But I may have confused people - this is for the Quilting with Machines conference in September. It is pretty close to me (about a 5 hour drive from Ontario). I'm registering early, but it seems to me that classes get full up fast. I hope I will be leaving myself enough time to see the show quilts, and of course to shop :P:P

I'm so looking forward to it! This will me my first time attending a LA conference!

Hi Caroline,

Fun! It is the closest show to us isn't it? Went last year and it was my first experience at a LA show as well. Wish I could go this year but I just came back from a month long vacation with my Mom. Hubby stayed home with our little guy. It MIGHT be pushing it to ask to go to QwM. ;)

It was very well organized and had a good array of vendors. QwM is not as large as MQX but I was glad for it. It was overwhelming enough as a newbie. Can't imagine how it would be to start at one of the really big shows! Being able to drive to the show was a bonus...filled my trunk and back seat with all the stuff I bought! :D

Colleen

Della - the conference is in Sandusky, Ohio. It is Sept 19th thru 22nd. Called Quilting with Machines.

Colleen, thanks for letting me know your experience! Maybe one year we can go together. Did you happen to stop by Checker Distributor on the way? It is in Maumee, Ohio - not far from the conference - maybe 45 minutes.

DeLoa's feathering your borders is great. I took it in MQX last week. Jaime is very patient and has wonderful ideas you can modify to work for you. You probably can't go wrong with any of the teachers they all offer something you can use. Quilting with Machines sounds like a great show.

I would take them all, my first show after I got my machine, I took 3 classes a day for 4 days. By the fourth day, can you say I was brain dead. Don't overload yourself but take a well rounded course load. Now I pick a subject a year and take classes on that. Last year was feathers, but everyone does them differently and sometimes it take repetition an different ways for the light bulb moment for me.

Take all of them but don't overload and leave yourself some downtime to just enjoy and soak in the sights of inspiration.

Shirley

Archived