Some News About My Surgery......

Just thought I?d update you on the latest news about me and my broken foot. Back on November 10, while hanging sheetrock with my husband in our new garage, I fell down an open stairwell straight down six feet and hit the landing below. I broke my calcaneus bone (heel bone) in my right foot. I had to wait until Nov 28 for surgery (spent two nights in hospital) and I just returned from my 2-week post operative appointment with my surgeon. This past month has been a little scary for me.

Well, I had a great trip to Anchorage on Monday and met with my surgeon. I got my stitches removed, and he took x-rays of my foot. The wound is healing very well, and the x-rays indicate that all is good with my bones?everything is in its place where they?re supposed to be! I have a metal plate and quite a few screws in there (I think maybe six or eight screws?) I fractured it in four places. Anyway, the doctor could not be more pleased with everything. My joint movement, both front to back (toe to heel) and side to side movement is pretty good even after just two weeks following surgery. He said I should heal and recover completely. That is wonderful news. I am not in a hard cast, I am in a temporary splint and I should begin to wear my air cast (can remove it in the shower). He wants the physical therapist in Fairbanks to have access to my foot so the therapist can work with me moving my foot around to keep it from getting stiff. I should start my physical therapy appointments next week. So, all is well.

Because of the good news from my doctor, I got the green light to come back to work. I started working half days (afternoons) starting this week (started Tuesday). I will work half days the remainder of this week. I have to keep my leg propped up on a chair or the desk while I work, but that is going OK. All is good and I feel great and off pain meds. I think I am on the road to recovery! WHEW!! :)

I have strict doctor's orders not to walk on this foot for three whole months. That means I'll be on crutches until the end of February 2007, and then I will start to learn to walk normal again. That's a long time. Bummer... :( The thing I am scared about now is that I might end up with a permanent limp, that it might be difficult for me to stand for great lengths of time, and that my foot might become mishaped and that I might not be able to wear a regular shoe, and that I might live forever with pain and arthritis in that foot. I don't know the outcome, yet, but I hope for the best. I try to keep a positive attitude. Because of my little accident, my plans to get the longarm have been delayed, so I probably can't get this until late 2007, maybe early 2008? I want to make sure I can stand OK without pain. I'm so disappointed...

Well, enough about me! I hope all is well with you ladies. I?m sure all of you are busy getting ready for Christmas, etc. Me? Well, I?m gonna do the ?very low key Scrooge? version for Christmas this year. The bare minimum. That?s OK. I already got my Christmas wish (see paragraph 2 above).

Shana

Shana,

I am so happy to hear that everything is healing good with your foot. Just one suggestion for you, during the cold months wear heavy socks like hunters sock. The metal gets cold than your foot will hurt more even after everything is healed. I have screws in my right foot and if I don't wear what I call woolies my foot gets real cold. My husband was just standing here and said to tell you I also have a few screws loose! :P

Just do everything your supposed to and the time will go faster than you know it. This is the time you take care of yourself and have others help you instead of you trying to do it on your own.

Char

Hi Shana,

I'm sorry to hear about your fall and broken foot, and I'm glad to hear you're doing so well healing. I am waiting for the day I can order my LA, so I understand how you feel in that respect. I have a son (youngest kid) still with 3 1/2 years of college to go, and a 9 year old car. I'm trying to save for a LA and hoping the car will hang in there (also can use DH's car if necessary).

I guess it will be impossible for you to piece more tops since it is your right foot. What about knitting or crocheting? You could make some dazzling scarves for next Christmas for gifts. Or, learn some beading and make jewelry.

As you can probably guess, I am addicted to fabric, yarn and beads!;)

Good luck with a speedy recovery without the limp and aches.

Isn't it funny how when you look back it's hard to believe how fast time goes...like now we're at Christmas and it seems like yesterday was Hallowe'en? Or, despite the fact that we've been married 23 years, I can still remember how much fun I had at that wedding! On the other hand, when you are facing a couple of months of hardship, it seems like it will be forever!!! Hang in there, Shana, we'll all be thinking of you and saying a prayer that your recovery will be successful and swift!

Sandra :)

such a positive attitude-KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!!;)

take care and call if u need to talk to someone. I personally haven't been through an ordeal like yours except through others-those have too many to count! When my son broke his arm-almost 8 years ago-the doctors threatened to sedate me first! I still think back and remember it very vividly!

like i said KEEP THE POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shana I wish you the best on your foot healing nicely. You should try not to focus on all the bad "what if" seniaros about your foot. Just focus on the healing and the physical therapy and your foot being the best it can be.

As far as standing at a longarm. I got a slider and a chair for mine and when I do fussy stuff where I spend a long time quilting in one area I sit in the chair. I think you could learn to use a chair for pushing yourself along when doing allover designs as well. I just find for me it is easier to stand if I move over the surface back and forth. The chair is really great and with practice you could use it all the time.

Do not be a scrooge..............................instead just pamper yourself this Christmas and let others help you as much as they are willing. Christmas spirit comes from within..................it is not about the decorations and the gifts but about how we feel.

Guest Linda S

Wow Shana - I hadn't realized you'd injured yourself so badly. I'm so glad to hear you're healing well. Do follow the Doctor's instructions and don't walk on that foot! I'll bet that you'll heal well and do okay. Maybe later in life you might get a bit of arthritis from it. I just had my fourth surgery on my right ankle. The three previous were to sew my tendons back together, but this was just to remove a bone spur. I had the surgery Tuesday and can already walk a bit in my surgical boot.

Blessings of healing and all good wishes of the season to you!

Linda

Shana,

You will surprise yourself and things will be soon in the past. If you do exactly what the doc's and the therapists tell you to do you will be just fine. Hang in there and listen to them...they will push you till you want to cry and yell at them, but remember its for your own good and will make it so you don't have that limp your nervous about.

I know the next few weeks will be your hardest...and if you need to talk to someone....yell would be happy to help if I can. My hubby did something like this but MUCH MUCH worse...he has feeling in only 15% of his foot...but its still there.

Take care and have a great holiday....

Shana,

My heart goes out to you, kiddo. My DH broke his calcaneous

a few years ago doing a John Wayne over a fence. Old fool.

The location makes it a 'hard heal'. Terry has not noticed

any arthritis but after long shopping trip (i.e. mall or CostCo)

his foot aches and he has a slight limp. And then this year

he broke his leg playing golf. 3 bones and needed lots

of hardware. Is clutz spelled with "C" or a "K"?

You just have to be patient and not overdo. I would look

into the possibilkity of orthotics. The calcaneous takes

a lot of the load when we walk.

Good luck.

Dear Shana,

You have been on my mind, I am glad to hear your surgery is behind you.

Take one day at a time & dont push or over extend your self, remember Andre is there to help you!;)

Take advantage of your healing time with a good book or sewing project, it will help pass the time.

Most importantly know your friends are here cheering you on!!;)

Your friend,

Linda

I am so glad you are doing better. You are in my prayers everyday.

I had a picket fence in my right arm for months and it was a pain in the you know what.

I would post a photo but it might gross someone out. lol

Be kind to yourself and don't go against Dr's orders. Sometimes we think we can do things we shouldn't.

I hope all is well with you. Have a Wonderful Holiday. God Speed your way.

Love Grammie

Archived