MQX West - what classes?

I've had my machine for a year now. So far I am self-taught with help from this forum, books and dvds. I would say I'm not QUITE a beginner, but definitely could benefit from some in-person classes.

I am reasonably comfortable with pantos, but really want to become more confident and proficient working from the front of the machine, both freehand and using rulers, etc.

Does anyone have specific suggestions for classes that I would find the most helpful?

Based on what I've read here, and dvds I've used, I'm thinking of signing up for Dawn, Kim Brunner, DeLoa, and Jamie Wallen.

Thanks for any advice.

Deloa is doing a ruler class which I will be taking. I haven't mastered that skill yet! I have taken classes from Dawn and they were wonderful. I took a lecture class from Kim Brunner last year that was useful and will take another with her this year. I have signed up for a class with Jamie Wallen at MQX West this year as everyone on the forum have said good things about his classes. The hands on classes are really expensive at MQX in comparison to Road To California. If you have the opportunity Bonnie of getting down south in January there are hands on classes now at Road. It is easy to get to, it is very close to Ontario airport.

Guest Linda S

Bonnie - it sounds like those teachers will work well for you! I'm teaching a class there that is mostly for beginners, but I also show how to load and keep a quilt square, how to SID, go around applique', use a stencil, templates, etc. The real newbies would do well with my class, but I think Kimmy, Deloa, Jamie, and Dawn would be great for you. I took lots of classes from Dawn during my first years and learned a lot.

I've taken a class from Dawn and Jamie (bring a bic pen & pad of paper to both). I'm going to take Angela Walters classes as more and more modern quilters are looking for longarm quilters. Visit her site www.quiltingismytherapy.com. She has a book coming out soon and is a wonderful quilter. (Yes, I'm a fan.)

As for the instructors Bonnie mentioned--all are great freehand teachers if that's what you are leaning toward. DeLoa has ruler and stencil classes that are great. You can't go wrong with the professionals mentioned. I hope to see you there!

Bonnie all great choices. Deloa's personality and love of sharing make her classes an exceptional buy. I know I'm partial but honestly I wouldn't be where I am without Deloa's guidance, help and encouragement. Jamie is one of the most patient kind people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting and his designs are fun so you can't go wrong with him. My first class ever at MQX was Kimmy Brunner's Twirly Whirly feathers, did I mention I had had my long arm only a few months, lol fantastic class! Dawn is also excellent and you won't ever regret taking them.

Archived