State flower blocks

Because the sashing is dark blue, I want to quilt it in blue thread and the blocks in off white. I'm trying to figure out a way so I won't have to start and stop 48 times!! I think the yellow one would be okay using all off white thread, but it would probably also look better if I did the sashing in gold. What would you do with these?

I've done embroidered winter scenes, some in one color and others in many colors. I always use a smaller filler in the background to match the color in which the embroidery was done (in this case an off-white). If the embroidery is too large and I'm afraid the batting will shift, I take a few swipes inside the embroidery to emphasize a part of the embroidery (snowman's belly, snow pile, etc.). I hope this helps with the blocks at least.

Sheri,

If you tilt your head to the left when looking at the gold one, and to the right when looking at the blue one, you'll see that they are all right side up. Each block is at an angle, so I alternated the angles left and right. Sorry to confuse the issue!

Still wondering if I have to stop and start for each block. I wonder if I can just use blue thread for the blue one and gold for the gold one. Afraid that would take away from the embroidery.

Karol--if you look at vintage quilts they were mostly quilted through the whole thing with an off white or white thread--to keep these looking like the era they came from I would quilt the whole thing in the softest and thinnest off white that you have, that is what I usually do with these types of quilts.

Just my opinion though--Terri

If you look at the photos from the side , the blocks aren't upside down. They are tilted as Karol said. But looking straight on as shown here, some do look as if they are upside down.

Took a while for me to figure that one out!

I also like the cross-hatching idea with off white thread.

Carol

Archived