edge to edge, allovers, pantos, etc

how difficult is it for the talented people on this forum to do an allover on a really nice customer quilt top...that would have been a really fantastic quilt top if they would have been willing to spend just a little more money? i see quilt tops on this forum that are "to die for" & the customer opts for an allover! maybe the customer doesn't realize how great their quilt top really is?

Using a freehand all over you can sometimes help the quilt out a bit. If you are really passionate about the top I might offer a slightly higher level of quilting for the same price especially if I know there is a genuine shortage of cash.

Ferret

I'm lucky that most of my customers come to me because they want their quilt to be done special. Sometimes that is a curse too because that means lots of custom and little e2e. If I were completely convinced that an e2e was not right for a quilt I might turn it back to them and say sorry. An example might be a beautiful applique quilt and I just don't have it in me to stitch all over it. I've never had to do this but I might.

I did have one once that was an applique quilt and these ladies wanted an E2E as it was to become a raffle quilt at their church. (I guess they would make more if they spent less on the quilting), I tried to talk them into custom but they wouldn't go that route and I understand their viewpoint, but they insisted that I do a big loose E2E and so I did..(by the way, it just felt wrong to do this to an applique quilt)..funny - I never saw that quilt raffled and they did say they liked how it turned out. Both of these ladies have now become long time customers of mine, one likes custom and will pay for it, the other likes only E2E's and so I see now who was in charge of that one...:)

That's my story! :)

I just took in an applique quilt called "Birds of a Feather". My customer and her friend each did one at the same time. Her friend had an overall quilted because of cash issues and now regrets it. You can imagine how bad she will feel when she sees the other one "customized". She said if she could afford taking the extra hit of paying twice for quilting the same quilt she would pick out the stitches and have it done again. I guess we're like hair stylists--even when we know something isn't appropriate for the customer, they get what they ask for or we don't get their business....

I had a customer bring me 3 hand pieced quilts that her Grandmother made in the 1930's. When I saw them they screamed at least quilt me correctly. However, the Granddaughter just wanted them quilted with an allover design. I went to the library and got books showing what designs were appropriate and had her come over and see them. While she appreciated the insight, she just wanted them quilted with an allover. So I did but it killed me with every stitch I made. The granddaughter was thrilled with them and displays them in her house. Whenever she sees me she always tells me how thrilled she is with them. She says she always explains to her friends and family that the quilting was her choice and not the quilter's. She just treasures the fact that her Grandmother made them.

Its not difficult for me at all! I do a lot of custom work and actually love it when I can have a little break and do a freehand overall. Love it! It's a money thing for the customer. I have a few customers who do amazing work, but also produce a LOT of quilts. If they had me do custom work on everything they gave me it would break the bank. And frankly, they still turn out very pretty.

Jess

Archived