First quilt done!

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I posted that I put my very first quilt on my new Lucie...I took 2 charity quilts home from one of the guilds I belong too..it took time to set it up but I got there eventually, following the manual...method 1... I decided to use one of the 2 pantograph designs I received with the machine...this quilt it was 52 by 67. I finished it tonight...

I learned a lot already

....how to line it up for the next row...figured it out but still have to practice that...

....the laser and the metal holder seem to be in my line of vision sometimes...

....my quilt seemed to have shifted about an inch...if the top was square...and I

didn't really check it...I put blue tape tp mark the right side ...or in thinking about it now, ther is a godd possibility that my pant was not line up straight...

....Lucie is still making a noise..but definitely only in SR mode....noise is gone in manual,so I have no idea what the cause is

....as far as the up/down goes...when I come to a stop in SR it still still goes up /down....should it be coming to a complete stop?

I have to learn how to sew right up to the pins... my pattern turned out ok but I would like the quilting to go to the binding.. I found it hard with the pins on the way....pins were in the 1/4 seam for the most part and I used big corsage pins...

My rows were pretty even but I can see what a mess one would make if the quilt is not rolling evenly..

I tried both SR and manual...I like the QUIET of manual...and is it just me, or does the beep beep drive anyone else a little crazy...my son came in and complained about it...can the beeping be turned off?

Tell me folks, what setting/speed do you use for panto sewing

Now I have to bind it...

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to share...

Sounds like you're off to a great start! I learn something new every time I load a quilt onto the frame. Could the noise you are referring to be the bobbin rattling when it's getting low on thread? I can tell when my bobbin is getting low by that noise. I usually set my stitch length between 10 and 11 spi when doing pantos. The beeping of the stitch regulator no longer bothers me. You get used to it. Have fun!

Well it sounds you are well on your way. The beep cannot be turned off but you can muffle it which some have done. I think people have put a piece of batting over the beeping box. After 4 years I really don't hear it any more. I do recall when I started quiliting 4 years ago it was really loud to me too. Sounds like you are doing all the right things and trying different things. You'll soon find your rhythm and be humming right along.

Originally posted by Tella....my quilt seemed to have shifted about an inch...if the top was square...and I

didn't really check it...I put blue tape tp mark the right side ...or in thinking about it now, ther is a godd possibility that my pant was not line up straight...

How exciting for you! I remember my first panto. They are a little intimidating at first but you will soon get the hang of all the steps and it will be like breathing, so easy.

I have a different machine and frame than you do, but what I did to help line my pantos up straight is to put a straight line of blue painter's tape on my table. Do to this, I used my laser light and channel locks and moved my machine from one end of the table to the other, using the laser light to put down a straight piece of painters tape the length of the table. The tape has been in place for a year now, probably needs replacing, but I just line the edge of the panto paper up with it each time and know that I'm straight and good to go with the panto paper.

Have fun with your quilting!

Ladies,

thanks for all the encouragement and advice. Arielle, I will try a little slower...

Sherri,thanks, I tried the laser light in a different position...

And Bonnie I was thinking about doing the same thing when I watched a utube from Linda Taylor and using pantos and she showed that her table...she uses a Gammill..had markings on it so panto would be set down straight...i like the idea of using the laser to make it straight...would it not be straight thou if one just lines the panto up with the bottom straight edge of the table???

glad that beeping gets less noticed...I called APQS and spoke to Bob...very kind and encouraging...I put the phone to the machine as it was running in SR mode and he heard the noise and said it is completely normal...sounds loud to me but what do I know...

Finally, unrelated to Lucey but about this forum...i had a hard time finding my posts so I can read the responses..I found it by going through the today's posts but is there an easier way...

Congratulations on the first success of many!

Ditto all who have advised about the beep. It's louder from the back because it's right next to your ear. If it still annoys you after a while, it can be muted a bit with a wrap-around of electrical tape. You must lift the hood and find the "chirp box" then wrap it until the volume is less. Or use an ear plug in your right ear.

The needle will still cycle in SR mode until you stop it with a touch to any button. The machine is still in stitch mode and any movement of the head will fire a stitch. If you want to keep the SR going while you ponder your next move (and thus the beep still beeping) press the right command button and the go button. This will allow you to stop--I make sure the needle is down when I execute this so the head doesn't get moved off line. To start again, command/go and you can again stitch, still in SR mode.

I also use my laser and channel lock to do the initial line-up of a panto or pattern board. Remember as well to use the channel lock and the edge of the hopping foot from the front to line up the top so both are straight.

Many people baste the sides when doing pantos so they can stitch off the edge. That way no pins to watch for.

Archived