Quilting ideas

Oh, Bonnie, trust your instincts, you have good ones. Don't over-think it just do it. Lightly echo outline the applique. SID on the dark turquoise and the black then I'd think about two straight lines that go around the corner in the lighter grayish color. Simple, but effective. Now having said all this...understand that I am no where near the caliber of you or others on this group. I just happened to have an opinion just about the time you asked. LOL.

Cute quilt! I would do a loopy meander in the cream area behind the appliqué, some sort of line dancing in the triangles and a whimsical freehand feather in the corners of the blocks. A little swirl in the teal sashing. I would also outline all the appliqué and SID around the blocks and sashing. I don't think you need to do any quilting in the black sashing, but depends how wide it is. You could the repeat your feather design in the outer border...just make sure the feathers aren't too formal. Looks like a fun quilt! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Bonnie, I am kind of simple minded...lol...and would outline the applique, do a meandering loop behind the applique, CC's in the triangles and a puzzle meander behind the triangles. Sashings would get some kind of leaf or rocking c's...borders a running feather. Actually that is kind of what I did do on an embroidered quilt block and it looked pretty good....lol

Your suggestions are making me feel better! Vicki, I had thought about a meander and Lisa, I thought about loopies and thank you for mentioning whimsical feathers. I had hoped she would like whimsy in this quilt. Oma, I was thinking about a straight line, too (and you are way better skilled than I am!!!). Della, your ideas are great, too. I like the puzzle meander in the triangles. That way I don't have to worry about meandering myself out of the applique edges and I could still do the loopy meander in the applique.

Thank you, ladies. I'm feeling better already. Gosh, I should have come here to ask days ago.

Any more ideas are very welcome!!

I'm loading it tonight and am looking forward to at least getting started after thinking for so long. I'll post a photo when I'm done.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Too bad she wouldn't let you McTavish the background of those blocks because it would really make the applique pop. Loopy meander is a good fill when they want light quilting. I like the backtracked loop or swirl too.

Heidi, I agree! I showed her a few McTavishings and she said she wanted something bigger and not so dense. Unfortunately, the McTavishing I showed her wasn't on an applique quilt like hers so she couldn't see how it would make the applique pop. I was kinda sad she didn't want dense quilting there and that has really been hanging me up.

Archived