Hot off the rails for 2007

Here is a close up of the backround in the center. This is a stensource stencil available at www.stensource.com

In my opinion...this backround is a touch too large for the size of this little quilt, but since it was mine and I wanted to use it, I did! At the time I purchased this stencil it was the only size available, I wish they had a smaller one available.

The curve on this made it more diffacult to use then the straight basket weave I did on Lime Squeeze but if you are comfy with a curved ruler it helps. I used the mini oval from The Gadget Girls.

I used Miracle Chalk and pounced the design on the black but after MUCH steaming to remove the marks..they insist on staying. Not sure what is up wuth that!

WOW!!!!!! What a quilt to start the year off with!

For names I am thinking:

"Chocolate Covered Cherries"

or

"Life is Like a Box of Chocolates"

I have not touched my longarm in about 3 weeks now and am franticly trying to finish up an art quilt I am making for a challenge. If all goes well I will get it loaded on the machine on Friday. The good news is that the frist quilt I do for 2007 will be for me :)

Great suggestions! Thanks!!!

BTW, I peeked at your art quilt and they are AMAZING!

Originally posted by sewingupastorm

WOW!!!!!! What a quilt to start the year off with!

For names I am thinking:

"Chocolate Covered Cherries"

or

"Life is Like a Box of Chocolates"

I have not touched my longarm in about 3 weeks now and am franticly trying to finish up an art quilt I am making for a challenge. If all goes well I will get it loaded on the machine on Friday. The good news is that the frist quilt I do for 2007 will be for me :)

Hi Donna

Nope, no luck yet! Thought I would try canned air but I am out. I doubt that will have enough pressure though. I will attempt to vacume it after the binding is done. Perhaps I will email Sharon Walsh to see what she suggests. I'll keep you informed.

quote]Originally posted by tusistas

Sherry:

Have you had any more luck removing the Miracle Chalk? I'm hesitant to use it now.

Does anyone have any ideas how to remove it?

OH my Gosh!

That is awesome. Hope I can be half that good in time. Only had my machine 6 weeks. And from what I see you guys and gals do, scares me.

Have lots of practice practice practice to do.

Reminds me of a cool summers night with those colors.

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

Sherry, your quilt is delicious and the quilting is superb!

The colours made me think of saddle shoes, poodle skirts, twin sets, pony tails and Connie Francis. I was too late for that 'era', but its popularity is. . .well, still popular! How about "Nostalgia".

Carolyn

Sherry,

Not that I am too young to know this, but what are Green River drinks?

Thanks for the close up. After your first basketweave photo I began looking at stencils in a different way. Not just looking at the ones that looked continuous, trying to make them all continuous patterns.

Sue

Your quilt is beautiful and yes, very yummy. It reminds me of the old fashioned candy called Licorice Bridge Mix. One of the pieces was black, white and pink in a sandwich layered square. Another candy is called Licorice Snaps and they are bright colors on the outside with licorice cores. You sure have a knack for putting dramatic colors together and making the quilting visually pop. Good luck on naming this. Let us know what you decide.

Vicki

I have not been on the forum forever and see what I miss. I just sat and gazed at this beauty for a long time. Sigh. Bubble gum and poodle skirts and being young. Wonderful quilt and quilting. Your feathers always leave me speechless.:)

Hi Kenna

Thanks for the reminder to post my findings! I emailed Sharon who manufactures the powder. After seeing the photo I sent her she said that she had not seen this happen before. She suggested another attempt of using the tip of the iron in the stitches that still held the powder. I have not done that yet but I did use a damp lint free cloth and sorta scrubbed at the chalk and after that I see no stubborn powder evidance remaining. Sharon said the only problem she has seen encountered with black fabrics is that sometimes she will get a shadow especially on sateen-- but she finds that out when she tests.

The fabric I used this on was cotton, so that was not the problem here. I think I just needed to be more assertive with my iron! And of course...pre test, which I did not!

Mmmmm, delicious! Reminds me of Good and Plenty candy.:)

This might have been suggested already (haven't read ALL the posts) but do you have one of those small irons used for bias tape applique? You know, the one that's used to press applique vines and edges. I think Clover makes one.

Anyway, if you have one of those things perhaps you could use the tip of that and run it firmly over the stitched area to get the chalk to disappear. (Mist and press to get the needed steam.) I know they get quite hot because they are also used to bond then Steam and Seam on the bias tape vines.

Just a thought... Again, lovely work!

Christine Olson

www.Hotquilts.com

Sherry - One more question... I was looking at this again and trying to see

if when you did the basket weave out towards the edges...did you extend

that out into the peiceing area of the triangles? (flying geese) Into that

black border area or is that just SID around those? Webshots was not

letting me look at your border closeup, would load the photo....

Thanks for the info!:)

Archived