Pineapple quilt pattern?

Hi! We went to AQS in Des Moines this weekend and I am inspired to make a pineapple quilt now! Does anyone have good recommendations on patterns, notions, tools, etc, that would be good? My skills are intermediate to advanced and I've never paper or foundation pieced before but I am willing to learn. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks.

Karen in Kansas

I recently took a class from Anita Grossman Solomon on her Pineapple Quilt. Her technique was amazing and it isn't paper pieced but is extremely precise. I would highly recommend you check out her book - Rotary Cutting Revolution which includes the Pineapple Quilt and many others. The secret is in the cutting - it's so quick and easy.

I love paper piecing. If you get the pattern "Wandering Stars" by Judy Niemeyer, it will be very simple to learn the technique using her method. I expect there are tutorials on line also but the Judy Niemeyer method was what finally clicked for me. The great thing about paper piecing, is it doesn't require any additional tools other than what you already have. A ruler, a rotary cutter, and a printer to run off the foundations..and you are in business. There are tools that may make it easier, but they aren't required to get great results. I have pieced a number of pineapple blocks using different methods. Paper piecing is by far the easiest for me. There are a number of patterns available and I am sure the LQS will have a good selection.

Welcome, Karen. A member of this forum posted a pic of a pineapple quilt pattern(book) by Gyleen Fitzgerald. It is not paper pieced and I don't think it is difficult. It does have it's own ruler. My intention is to make this quilt. You know what they say about good intentions. Many, and I mean many, years ago Eleanor Burns did a program about making an easy pineapple quilt without templates or paper piecing. I think it is similar to this one.

Now I will test whether or not I can post pics. This is the one Corey posted.

That was me who posted, rainbow pineapple quilt, still a quilt top. I'd say, the technique is not precise even with the ruler and book combo, I washed & starched gazzillion fabrics for that project

One of these days, I will try the Anita Grossman Solomon's Pineapple technique, I friend gifted me her book.

I know this is not what you are talking about but I thought you'd all like to see it. This is a pattern by Vicki Stratton and Barbara Jones, Sunshine Pineapple Quilt. I'm loading it today. When I Googled pineapple quilts your idea of a pineapple quilt is predominant, but this one seemed to pop up every now and then. The kind you are talking about can be tricky...my first one was so wonky I put it in the recycle bucket. If you are precise each step of the way, you have a better chance of ending with a square block. One little wobble or inaccurate seam can throw the whole thing off-kilter. Enjoy the pix. Oh, don't forget to post a picture as you go. We love pictures.

This is my first attempt to post pictures so it may or may not work.... :(

So I need to learn how to do the picture thingy. When I tried it said my URL was not allowed.

So I went back and found the editor... :)

post-2564-0-02156700-1349801476_thumb.jpg

post-2564-0-62522100-1349801491_thumb.jpg

post-2564-0-20977900-1349801506_thumb.jpg

Archived