Thread help quick please!

just got a delivery from the high school football coach. 10 uniforms that need repair by 3pm tomorrow for a playoff game! Most of them are a seam at the neck that has come apart. I'm thinking they need a stretchy thread. I have some wooly nylon that will match. Can I use this in my DSM? If I can't they I'm just going to have to use regular thread and hope they don't come apart again or make a temporary fix until after season when I can get somewhere that has other threads. Nothing like a last minute deadline!

Lynne,

Are the uniforms made of polyester? If so I would just use polyester sewing thread on them. During my clothing sewing days that is what I would use on anything that was poly. I never had an issue with the seams coming apart unless I hadn't secured the beginning and end of the seam properly. I would think that you could find it at your LQS if you don't have something like a Joann's near you. The only name I can come up with at the moment is Gutermann but I know there are more out there. I am a bit rusty with names of sewing threads! I am not familiar with wooly nylon, perhaps someone else will chime in.

I'm trying the wooly nylon in the bobbin. The uniforms are the super stretchy ones like the NFL players were complaining about being so tight earlier this year so they need all the give I can get in the repairs. If these hold for the next three games, I am going to have him send me all of the uniforms to reinforce. It will be a lot easier to do before the poor stitching that is in them comes apart. I know they were expensive jerseys, so it is kind of disgusting to see them falling apart due to poor workmanship in just one season.

If any one else has a thread suggestion, let me know. I think I gained the job of "uniform repair mom" since I sent my son's back fixed! My LQS doesn't carry thread and I am out in the country so I need to stock up when I get to a bigger shop someday.

The strength of the seam is more about the type of stitch used to sew it when it comes to a stretchy fabric. Does your machine have stretch stitches? Typically, they are stitches where the machine sews forward a couple stitches, then back a stitch, or forward a couple stitches, overcast the seam edge, then back a stitch. Any thread should do if you use the correct stitch.

I used a stretch zigzag stitch. The part that was coming apart was where the ribbing at the neck joined in a V in the front. These uniforms are so doggone tight that I think they yank the necks to get them on over the pads.

I use the wooly nylon in the serger loopers when I make napkins, baby blankets or burpers to fill out the stitches better.

I remember when I worked at Stretch and Sew that I needed to use a ball point needle if the fabric was a knit and I had to put a little tug on the seam while I was sewing. That way the stretch would be in the seam and not pop if it was stretched. But Heidi's idea of a stretch stitch and maybe a narrow zigzag stitch which would allow for the stretching without popping the thread and breaking it.

I remember when I worked at Stretch and Sew that I needed to use a ball point needle if the fabric was a knit and I had to put a little tug on the seam while I was sewing. That way the stretch would be in the seam and not pop if it was stretched. But Heidi's idea of a stretch stitch and maybe a narrow zigzag stitch which would allow for the stretching without popping the thread and breaking it.

Yes a narrow zig zag will work if you don't have the stretch stich option on your machine. Most of the newer sewing machines have this option. Do a test and see what happens with the wooly nylon to see if it creates too much bulk. I don't think it is that thick but always do a test if you can. Unsewing is never fun!

I just fixed a couple of stretchy jersey shirts for my grandson that were coming apart on the seam at the neckline. I used a ballpoint need, Isacord polyester thread (shiny color matched the shirt) and used the straight stretch stitch on my Bernina and it worked great! Stretch stitches if you have them are definitely the way to go on stretchy fabric. If not, small zig zags will work too.

Archived