Road to California 2007 Quilt Show Photos

Hey everybody,

My photos are not that great but I wanted to put some up from the show for everyone who lives out of state who might want to see some of the quilts that are on display right now. Many of the ribbons went to quilts that you are probably already familiar with but there were a few new interesting ones that offer some new/interesting techniques that I tried to capture in the photos. If you travel over to www.quilters-cafe.org, there is a link in the post on the show to a photo album with about 40 pictures. Hopefully I can get more up there over the week-end.

I saw many of the quilts from Karen McTavish's Whitework Quilting book and it was very interesting to see them in the real world. Also had some fun traveling over Marilyn Badger's quilting at the APQS booth for practice.

The Liberty was awesome...very light weight for any of you who are struggling with carpal tunnel (only 35 pounds, but no bicycle handle bars unfortunately). No George to try at this show.

Thanks for being there APQS!

Kathy

Thank you for the wonderful photos of the Road show. The one quilt you were wondering about (hand-colored wholecloth) is by Irena Bluhm. She quilts first and then uses either colored pencils or Shiva paint sticks to color the quilt. She is a delightful and generous teacher and does beautiful work. Thanks for sharing!

Linda R

Olympia Wa

Thank you so much for posting those pictures. One of my quilting dreams is to be able to go to a Quilt fair in the States, some day.

Oh, I disagree with you. Your pictures are great, very good quality and very well done.

:D:D:D:D, if I win the lottery, I would go to the Yokohama fair in Japan as well. I?ve heard that it?s out of this world.

Best wishes,

Cris

I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos. I woke up in the morning with camera in hand to get as many shots as I could for you all to see. I'm going back today or tommorow and try video taping You Tube style and will keep you posted.

Cris, this was my second quilt show, but my first really big show, and one of the nicest things was seeing these quilts in the third dimension! I thought I would be able to study technique, but I found that what I really came to discover is how much these quilts come to life and capture your heart on an emotional level when you see them right there in person. I wished that the show had better lighting, I think the emotional impact from the beauty of these quilts would have been even greater with gallery style lighting. These are show stopping quilts and they deserved showmanship lighting.

I also really enjoyed seeing booths from designers who sell some of their designs as kits like Judy Rothermel. I've only previously seen these in photos on the internet. Its so nice to see them in real life. Also, this show seemed to attract quilt shops from all over the country - I have been limited to just a handful within driving distance, so it was exciting to meet new shops and to experience their unique selections of fabric that reflect different tastes and discoveries.

Thanks Linda for explaining how Irena made her quilt. Now I see. I really thought her quilt was one of a few quilts on display that were way out there with new technique. To master both decorative painting (as textile painting no less) and incredible heirloom quilting is an amazing accomplishment. It was a masterpiece.

Kenna, I was in a big rush to get photos before the crowds came so I didn't get the chance to properly label each one with the artist and ribbon. I thought maybe you might be able to see the ribbon quilts and winners from the Road to California website (I haven't checked their site but I thought they might be up there???) I will go back and find Linda and Ferret's quilts and try to post more photos before the show ends. I saw Marilyn's, and the red fabric for this quilt is something else to see, it was just glowing with life, radiating light and energy, very spectacular up close.

This year they have ribboned off many of the quilt displays with wide plastic ribbon, so its not always possible to see the entire quilt without seeing it with ribbon cutting across the middle. I was told that last year the ribbon was at a lower level, just to prevent you from getting too close to touch the quilt. But this year it was hang about waist height, so I couldn't get photos of the full quilt in many cases without the ribbon showing.

Stay tuned......

Kathy

Hi Linda,

I just got home a few hours ago, spent the afternoon video taping and finished uploading about 17 minutes of video onto Google. Here is the link in case anyone wants to see:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=296459596319819982

I finally saw your quilt! Its about half way through the video. It took me the whole three days to get through everything there was to see! It is so sweet. I can't imagine the number of hours it took to finish and the extreme patience to create something so detailed.

The compression rate at Google desaturated most of the color and made everything look fairly blurry from afar but the upclose shots are better. (You can see I didn't use a tripod, please excuse the unsteady camera at times.) :o

I know everyone here is intently focused on technique for machine quilting so I spent alot of time trying to get up close shots. Since we couldn't get very close to the quilts, my zoom lense captured the details better than what we could get with the naked eye at the show. When you see the closeups of the quilting, you just can't believe the level of precision in these quilts, the level of artistry.....one quilt had a baby cradle with a quilt covering the baby that was literally a second quilt (hard to explain in words), alot of nature scenes that had stunning texture to simulate ocean waves, animal fur.....incredible mural wall quilts, a few quilts that imitated works of art (Monet and Van Gough), many Dear Jane and Baltimore Album quilts, lots of applique this year, mostly traditional, some really contemporary (big Piece O' Cake design influence on many of the contemporary applique quilts, happy and fun).

Few vendors that I wanted to pass along FYI that were new discoveries for me:

Richard Silk Co. (silk batting for hand quilting or quilt wearables) $2 sample swatches available

Quilting Books Unlimited

Laurie's Little Quilts (Oak quilt wall hangers)

Sunrise Lighting (full spectrum light bulbs)

Superior Threads was selling some wonderful thread shade cards with real thread samples for $3.00 each. They passed along a nice idea, thread baste your quilt with Vanish Extra after safety pinning, then remove pins and quilt away, no more stopping for pins (if you still live in the short arm world).;)

Also saw a nice demo at Golden Threads showing how to needle punch designs onto their paper and then use pounce powder to transfer the design onto cloth. For me, seeing was believing. I was amazed at how well the design transferred, stayed on, and how easy it is to iron off, no more fears over blue ink not coming out. Seemed pretty cool. :P

Thanks for your video Kathy. Nice job. I also have an interior design degree and have done a lot of photography. Hey we have something in common. I have a Norwegian heritage on my father's side and you really like the sweaters. Loved the show and had a great time with my mother.

Debbi - I posted a photo of your lovely quilt on the other Road2CA topic site here. Congratulations.

Vicki

Kathy, Thanks for the tour of Road to California...it was appreciated even for those of us in Cali that could not make it...could not get a class, then a room and finally gave up. Am flying down to visit my mom which was the big reason for the trip anyway next monday. Thanks for the experience. Fantastic quilts! :)

Archived