Intricate quilting

I've only done edge to edge quilting on my DM (learning all of these little abbreviations :) ), and up until the point that I got my long arm I was pretty confident. I cant even begin to understand how you all do those intricate quilting jobs. If anyone is willing to reveal their secrets :ph34r: ; how do you figure out what it is you want to do? Where do you begin? How long does something like that take?

James

James, there really isn't just one answer to your question. For people who are naturally artistic I think it comes much easier than for me who can't draw worth a darn. I practice, practice, practice, (PPP) before I every put a stitch in my quilt. Keep reading the post here, and many of your questions will be answered. Also, if you post a picture of the quilt you are wanting to quilt, someone will usually offer suggestions. I hope that helps you. And by the way, welcome to the forum.

Hi James,

Great questions! My buddy Doodlebug says--How do you eat an elephant? You just start--and take small bites!

Figuring out what to quilt comes with experience, taking classes, observing quilts, and training your eye to find quilting designs in everything. That includes carpets, architectural pieces, man hole covers, iron gates, fabric, and all the quilts available on the internet. That's a big world to discover. We had a list of favorite quilt blogs where generous and talented quilters share their work. Do an archive search for blogs for links and then bookmark the one's whose style you like. Visit once a week or so to see some beautiful stuff. Our Apqs chatters are generous and many have Flickr or Smile accounts where you can access their quilt photos. Lots of chatters have blogs as well with gorgeous quilting openly shared. Haunt the "pictures" topic here on the chat.

I'll share how I decide to quilt a sampler. I determine from the budget of the customer how dense the quilting will be. If she has opted for a medium price instead of heavy custom, I decide on borders and sashing designs--fairly open and maybe the border will be a filler instead of something more intricate. The blocks will be quilted simply, mostly with CCs-and-an-accent. And all with comparable density. A custom sampler would get lots of SID (stitch in the ditch) and some dense quilting in areas of the blocks to make a special fabric or dominate color pop. Sashings would be denser--maybe lots of marking involved. And borders as well. Ruler work and intricate marking always elevate the price--as well as lots of SID

Did this help? You sound enthusiastic and ready to jump in so I know you will do well! Good luck, James!

James, I don't think there is really a secret. Everyone will have a differant way of doing this it is just what you find that works for you.

This is how I got started and how I approch a quilt. I just started playing with differant drawings trying to do them without ever raising my pen then I tried to do the same thing with the longarm. I watched several demo's on youtube over and over. I did go to the classes that APQS offers with Dawn and learned alot. I look at some quilts and just know what I am going to do on them and others I look at for hours and have no clue what to do with them. I sketch out the design on a sheet of paper and tack it up on the wall so I have a plan to follow some times as I'm quilting the design gets changed and sometimes I do it the way I drew it. I sketch differant ideas in a sketch pad and try to do them over and over again. Try to break down the blocks to their basic shapes and then think about what you can put in just that part of the block that will look cool.

I hope this helps and good luck. I look forward to seeing pictures of your quilts very soon.

James...

I'm still learning and this is a great forum.

But I get lots of ideas on Pinterest, too.

And there are tutes for long armers on YouTube.

I also read a lot of quilty blogs and they are also a source of ideas.

The more pictures you can look at the better off you'll be.

Have fun with it.

Archived