New iron caddy and purse

I made a new purse and another iron caddy. I had a bag I bought at a quilt show a few years back that I loved except I didn't like the fabric it was made out of. The strap goes around my back so it is very comfortable to carry and holds a lot...just all around neat, but I found myself always making excuses for the fabric. The person selling the bags made them, but didn't have a pattern for them. I bought mine with the intentions of taking it apart and making a pattern and then make a bag I really did like. Never seemed to get around to it. I carried that bag to the Sisters show last summer and again...lots of compliments on the style and I did a lot of apologizing for the fabric choice. So when I got home and emptied it I took it all apart and made a pattern then I got cancer and it just sat there. When I started moving those stacks of fabric around that I had amassed the last four months I found it so I sewed a new one and sewed the old one back together. I decided to change things I didn't like about it...like I wanted mine lined...and with a pocket inside...and I changed the pocket outside. Well, it wasn't all that easy although it is very pretty. I'll have to use it to see if I like it a lot. It may be a little stiff right now. Probably too much interfacing. The big thing here is...I FINISHED IT!

8388564020_cda7906bc0.jpg

DSCF5540 by mikenoma, on Flickr

8388542954_3ca2cb926d.jpg

DSCF5401 by mikenoma, on Flickr

8388542726_d71995026f.jpg

DSCF5532 by mikenoma, on Flickr

8387454567_bd7242010a.jpg

DSCF5534 by mikenoma, on Flickr

8387453875_9757632b43.jpg

DSCF5539 by mikenoma, on Flickr

Rewind 40 years. My girlfriend's mom Joy was an amazing crafter/sewer/tole painter and I always thought my friend Julie was the luckiest girl to have a mom so talented. Julie always wore the cutest homemade clothes and had the cutest purses that her mom made without patterns. She made everything. For my 10th birthday, Joy painted me a beautiful heart mirror (remember the plaster of Paris days?) and I had it on my wall for over 30 years, until we moved 4 years ago. I was taking it off the wall and it fell and broke!! I cried and was so sad. Anyway, when I see the things you make, I often remember my friend's mom with fondness.

Oma, I love your talent and sense of color. You always seem to inspire us here to make something "non-quilty" that still screams quilt! And as Heidi mentioned, those microwavable bowl cozies were a huge hit. I'm still making them for people who missed getting them and wanted a couple. I'm always glad to see your pictures when you share! I love the bag, big improvement on the fabric :)

Archived