renting out machines

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some advice. I bought a new Millie in July with the intention that my soon to be laid of husband would learn to do e2e's and I would concentrate on the custom. Well...he has no interest in the longarm and now I am struggling trying to pay off the loan for the Millie and pay the bills. Seeing as I have no computers on my machines and I can only run one at a time...I am thinking maybe renting out the Gammill might bring in some much needed cash. Has anyone experience with this? I'd really appreciate any advise.

Tracey

Hi Tracey. If the Gammill is sitting there not being used--why not?

Here are some things to consider--

Training the renters. Most renters charge their customers to take a class on using the machine--usually they charge quite a bit to weed out the dabblers.

You'll need to babysit while they stitch so is there some other income-producing project you can work on in the same room? Are both machines in the same room or close by?

Do you have liability coverage in case someone stitches over their finger?

The only other thing I can think of is are you willing to train someone who decides this is a perfect job for them and they buy their own longarm? Now they're your competition. (Realize though that if someone wants to try longarming they will find a way to access a machine whether you rent to them or not.)

Another question--could you sell the Gammill to give yourself some breathing room?

Lots to think about!

Have you thought of giving longarming lessons as well as renting? With two machines and your talent, maybe you could get a mini-retreat planned?

Good luck and I hope you find a good use for the second machine.

It's a tricky venture to be sure. The gal who taught me said that often she ended up spending more time babysitting the quilters using her machine than she expected. It pretty much turned her off to it. Also, if you are not right there, folks might be adjusting things . . . and causing problems.

I wonder if you could find someone to do the E2E's? Maybe this person would trade out her work - one E2E for you, and she gets to do one of her quilts? That way you don't have to pay her, it's a barter.

Or is it possible to sell one of the machines? That would give you some money to pay down on the other, and some breathing room.

Hope it works out, stressing over the bills makes it hard to enjoy the quilting, that's for sure!

I visited a shop in AK a year or so back and they had a rental machine. When folks would come in to use their "time" they'd bring their own zippers and their own bobbins and bobbin cases. That way no one adjusts a bobbin case that messes up the next one in line. I thought that was a good idea. When the time was up they'd zip off their work and the next person would zip their own and off they'd go. The shop provided the thread and there were tons of colors but all the same weight and such. Customers bought the thread. I saw no one baby sitting the stitchers but I did notice one lady asking lots of questions. Now, if you had a computer on one you'd be set!!!

Archived