Comparing Millenium to others

I have been looking into purchasing a longarm for a couple of years. I finally was able to get me husband to come to Road2CA with me this year to look at the machines and understand what I want to do. I prefer the handling of the Millenium. My husband unfortunately is looking at all of the mechanics and comparing to diffrent models and now making my decision more complex. I have been hearing that there are many longarm quilters that have changed from the Gammill to the Millenium machines. I would really aprpeciate any comments that you would like to share as to why you have preferred one over the other. For me one of the biggest is the vibration. It bothers my hands. I know from testing the machines that after 10 mins they hurt. How can I go for hours?

I am a former gammill owner. I found, for me, that the machine was too heavy. I did have an optimum plus. I had problems controlling the machine when doing small, tight work or stitching around an applique. The classic is still heavier than the millie. I also like the stitch quality I get with the Millie vs. the gammill. The L bobbins contribute to the stitch quality. I found that my techincal service was better at APQS than at gammill.

But I do believe that buying any machine is a very personnal choice and you have to go with what you like. But I feel the lighter machines give better control especially if you are not a tall person...I am only 5'2".

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Best of luck in your decision.

I appreciate all the posts about which machine does what and how, as I am still trying to make up my mind about the incredible cost of these machines and whether a Husqy or HQ16 can do the same thing (while looking more attractive in my living room or dining room, LOL!). I have test-driven one machine, the Husqy down at Quilts NW in Sherwood, and I almost wanted to buy right then and there. It was a great price, I thought, at something like $3,600 ("pay it off in 2 years at $150/mo."). I just wondered how well it worked in the long run, ya know. I think a machine can feel grrrrrreat, but when you get it home it might not give you the service you were expecting. I've had that happen with regular machines, including my Bernina, so am very leary of spending tons of money.

I think your hubby is right to research the mechanics, but also these machines have a reputation of their own already in that regard, so I think you can go with your feelings. And it is soooo important to be able to drive them for hours on end without having to see a chiropracter every day! Nice hubby, though....

My husband has doctorates in both mechanical and electrical engineering, and after our research, we both decided the APQS machines were better engineered than the competion.

I really don't feel much vibration using the Millie - I do have a very mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome, but the quilting doesn't bother it nearly as much as cutting and piecing does. The Gammill is HEAVY, and I know I wouldn't want to quilt for hours on it.

JMHO

Mary

TO Patch:

When you are considering machines such as the Husqvarna or HQ16, consider the throat space (quilting space) and the frame you will be using it with. The (Husqvarna) Mega=Quilter is 8-3/4" needle to back of arm. Subtract from that the (increasing) size of the take-up roller. Effectively you can quilt about 5" max per pass. Be VERY careful when you look at the frame setups that include a moveable takeup roller, such as Max Throat II as an example. Be sure you see demonstrated a CURRENT PRODUCTION model, and give it a good workout before you buy. Same goes for purchasing a "computer controlled machine carriage" (see a current production - latest upgrade - model demonstrated)

Been there, done that!

John

Patch,

I suggest that you go to MQS or MQX shows. All machine dealers are represented there. The classes are great too. It is a wonderful way to meet quilters, to try out machines and learn. Every company has people who are in love with their machine and people who dislike their machine...is the way it goes because it is a personal choice. I will be bias and say the best on the market is APQS, I feel that it is and wouldn't buy any other.

I had a lot more vibration with my gammill...hardly any on the Millie. My machines are on a hard wood floor.

I love my Millie, Libery and can't live without my compuquilter!

Good Luck,

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

For me, an APQS was the best choice

I was going to say what John has said. Though he is much more articulate!

Also, when looking at HQ etc. investigate how sturdy the frame is. I've heard (don't know from experience) on some types they can be on the flimsy side and not very user friendly.

As always, I like what Kenna said!

Let us know what you decide!

Alright, this wasn't my post in the first place, so I'm sorry to butt in again, but one more thing. Hellene Knott said yesterday in my machine quilting class that when deciding on purchasing a LA I should also consider the distance to dealer for maintenance. "The competition" is in McMinnville (just down 99W apiece) and APQS is in Corvallis, so if I were thinking I would need a lot of maintenance which would I choose? But I'm thinking I'd better not need a lot of maintenance on one of these machines!! So does that matter so much?

Guest Linda S

LOL - I think you'll need more maintenance if you go with McMinnville. I've had my machine for three years and haven't needed anyone to come fix it yet. I did have a circuit board problem right away, but that was easily fixed. We have a bunch of Gammill Girls here in Eugene and they get absolutely no help from McMinnville.

Linda

Having owned both an APQS and a gammill....I have received better help from APQS than I did from Gammill. In general, my problems were operator error with my APQS cuz I was operating it more like a gammill. I live in VA and APQS is in Iowa (one of my favorite states). Sometimes the response I would get from the gammill tech was "I don't know" end of conversation...no, try this or this or I'll find out. I know others will have a different experience with gammill and have great service, but this was my experience.

I have never needed anyone to come out and service my machine and I have been quilting for a total of 4 1/2 years...your judgement shouldn't be totally basied on the need to have someone come out and service your machine. Your judgement should also include how you feel about running the machine, the features it has, your comfort with how it handles, is it the right machine for you, and then consider the repair history. When I owned my gammill...my friend also owned a gammill the same as mine. She constantly had problems...where mine never had the same problems she had...infact if I had her machine I would have given up quilting. Each machine is different and every company is bound to have a lemon...it is Murphy's Law.

You can buy a machine with an excellent repair record, but if it isn't the right machine for you and you struggle with operating it...you will not be happy and may even create more problems for yourself.

So distance is not an issue when it comes to repairs. Listen to how you feel about the machine you are going to invest in...it truely is an investment.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Hijacking the thread to answer Patch's question: Pat, you got some great advice from Linda S and Cheryl above.

Regarding "length of distance" to a LA dealer: Well, we have a Gammill dealer here in Alaska, but they are a 7 hour drive away from me. There is not an APQS dealer in Alaska (yet, anyway). From what I learned, most of the longarmers here in Alaska have Gammill and a few have APQS and some have A-1. While I was visiting my sisters in Salem last October, I drove down to meet Linda in Corvallis. During my visit with Linda (who is a doll-face, is lovely, and is one heckuva fun chickee), I mentioned my concerns about maintenance and the potential problems with the longarm and with me being so far away from technical support (I'm over 3,000 miles away from anywhere...LOL!! ;) ) Anyway, Linda assured me that on the rare chance that I might encounter a problem (if ever), that the APQS diagnostics system would tell me exactly what the problem was and that an electronic replacement part would be shipped to me immediately; that it was easy to pull out the old electronic component and plug in the new component. Subsequently, I do plan on taking the maintenance class after I've had my machine for a while. And, remember, these machines are built to industrial standards, the frames are heavy duty, sturdy and built for serious maximum useage; built to last for many years (in other words: it's not going to fall apart).

After reading all of the happy customer posts from the members here, and after learning about the good reputation from the APQS maintenance support team, and the reliablilty of the APQS machine operations, I am confident and comfortable with purchasing this longarm from APQS. I know that APQS stands behind their product and they will make good on any problems I might encounter.

Shana

sew4fun05, I want to thank you for allowing me to use your thread, and Shana and everybody else, I want to thank you for all the fabulous information and helpful suggestions you've given here. It really is great to hear from people who actually work with these machines about all the reasons you love them. I am definitely leaning heavily toward purchasing an APQS, or I wouldn't be here. I want to make sure I have looked at all the options and have valid reasons for choosing the one I eventually buy, so I raise a lot of points about the competition to "lay those ghosts", so to speak. You all are doing a great job of laying the ghosts, and when I finally get my hands on these machines it will be very valuable information to have in my head. Thank you!!

(Linda in Corvallis, I am going to plan a day trip down there if it's the last thing I do! LOL!)

P.S. I tried to find a chat room at the competition's website, but you have to be an owner, I think, to go there. Hmm......

Hi Patch,

I don't have my machine yet either, but I've gone through everything you are going thru over the last few months. I actually ran into the issue of a chat site for Gammill and the closest I found was Quiltropolis, I don't know if they sponser that site or not. There are a lot of Gammill people here and a lot of APQS, and others at both places. I like the fact that APQS put their name on theirs. I tried to get on the Statler list at Quiltropolis for research and decision making purposes and they required proof of ownership before allowing me in, what's the big secret? :o Compuquilter talks to everyone! I test drove both machines at the Houston show in Oct, ran back and forth between them, asked Mark a ton of questions about the Compuquilter, and then came back a day of 2 later and spent time on the Millie with Cheryll Urich (hugs to Cheryll!). Everyone was great, & very patient. I never felt rushed, didn't get the impression that if I wasn't going to buy right that minute then I should move along, just very kind and helpful. The same way they are on this site. I made up my mind right there. The Millie just felt right when I worked with it. I have to watch out for my hands, I have rhuematoid arthritis and all the issues that go with it and can barely handquilt anymore.:( But I am so delighted that I'll be able to keep on quilting with the Millie! :D I can't tell you what it means to me! Take your time and get your hands on these machines, you'll see the difference and make the best choice for you.

Thanks Kenna, that is very helpful. I am so sorry about your hands and your not being able to hand quilt. I hope the machine quilting can adequately take the place of what you love to do, at least mostly. I do very much want to go to a show to compare the different machines to each other, but there seem to be none in the NW, and a drive to Kansas or Michigan is simply not feasible at this point (nevermind the air-fare!). I will have to hoof it along to each dealer anywhere near here, I guess, or visit people who have kindly offered their machines for me to test drive (very nice people here). Seems like a lot more work, but that's what you do when you don't have money to burn.... oops, no offense, anybody. I wish I had that sitting in the bank!

Ok, back to business!

Originally posted by Patch

I do very much want to go to a show to compare the different machines to each other, but there seem to be none in the NW, and a drive to Kansas or Michigan is simply not feasible at this point (nevermind the air-fare!). I will have to hoof it along to each dealer anywhere near here, I guess, or visit people who have kindly offered their machines for me to test drive (very nice people here). Seems like a lot more work, but that's what you do when you don't have money to burn.... oops, no offense, anybody. I wish I had that sitting in the bank!

Hi, Patch.

Wouldn't it be nice and convenient for you if the longarm quilting companies each had those large semi-tractor trailer vans that they could drive to their interested customers? That way, they would just pull right up to your house and you could walk out to your driveway and step right into the trailer and try out their machines? Then you wouldn't have to quote: "hoof it along to each dealer"... ;):D

Seriously, though, I don't live in the NW...actually I live in the NN ;) LOL! And, I live very far away from any longarm dealer. Joking aside, I do know there are several annual quilt shows in your general area (Washington/Oregon). And, quite a few dealers in the Northwestern states for you to choose from. Sherry Rogers is just south of Seattle if you're up in that neck of the woods.

Some annual events in WA/OR that come to mind are:

Innovations in Sept.

Pacific International is Oct.

Sisters quilt show in July

Sewing and Quilting Expo in Puyallup, Wa in March; http://www.sewexpo.com/

I am sure there are more shows out there in Washington/Oregon area and you local folks here can add more info for Patch to consider.

Patch, and you don't need to hoof it to the mid west states, either. A trip to California or even Utah is a day's drive to get there, if you wanted to drive. Lots of annual shows in those two states. I love to drive and road trips are fun. If I were down there in your area I'd stop by and say "Come on, baby,,,hop in and let's ride!"

My dream of owning a longarm has been for probably 3-4 years, now. But what held me back was ample space in my home. DH and I have been working on building a quilting studio for me, but this venture has been set back several months, and we should finish the remodel some time this spring, after my foot heals. For over a year now, I have been diligently saving my hard earned $$ to pay for this thing, so I don't have to take out a loan. It's a long time coming for me, but I've been patient this whole time, and a few more months waiting for my new Millennium "Mademoiselle Madeline" to arrive here won't kill me. :)

Shana

Shana, you are an inspiration. Thanks for all the valuable info on shows around here. (A trip to California is two days, btw, since most of the goings-on are usually in So. Cal., and we don't drive non-stop). The main problem is time with these things. I'm the transportation, lunch-maker, "bottle-washer", morale-booster, homework police, teacher wrangler, psycho-therapist, etc. etc. etc. for my kids, and nobody else is going to do all that while I'm gone for three days or so. I have decided to do the Sisters trip with the LQS across the river here, so that one I knew about. But even after doing a Google for quilt shows in the area, I had trouble finding any but that one in the NW. I will just have to start saving my dollars for air fare to the big ones, I guess, because I really want to be a part of the community. Thanks for your help! :)

Oh, why is it not feasible for the LA companies to drive their machines to points distant? They have the money after people pay the incredible costs of their machines, it seems to me..... I'd have thought they'd want more customers, but maybe the idea is if somebody really wants one they'll find one somewhere to demo. Yup, I guess it's true.

Patty (Patch),

Wow, you sound like you have your hands full with those kids of yours! :)

I do know that the dealers do in fact travel to what you refer to as "points distant" to a central location (I'm sure they can't feasibly pull right in front of your home, but I know they regularly attend quilt shows or quilt events). And I think there are lots of opportunities for interested people like you to test drive the machines. I was absolutely kidding about the crazy idea of the dealers driving semi trucks all over the US and visiting interested customers in their driveway. I was trying to be silly and I know this idea is not only unrealistic, it just doesn't make sense economically for the dealer to do it, plus I can't imagine the machines and tables hitting every pot hole along the way. Ouch. That's not going to work...

You live in Tualatin, right? Surely that is not what I would call "points distant." Isn't that right outside of Portland? That's a big city and surely there are quilting events that go on around that area through the year. Make some calls and check with your local dealer to see what's coming up.

So, make a few calls to your local dealer and see what the dealer can work out for you. It just takes a little planning and patience. I am sure you can find a way that works for you and for the dealer to meet. Make a plan and work it through. Good luck!

Shana

I would have to say I totally disagree with Quilting101. Before purchasing my Millie, I had the dis-pleasure of using an aquaintances *G* Classic Plus.

At the time this was all I knew, so it was fine. When I decided to purchase my own, I researched the brands and was leaning towards APQS. After seeing and test driving, my husband new from the look on my face that APQS was it!!:P

The gammills are heavy, they vibrate, their table design is just weird, the way the quilt loads, it is just awkward. Not to mention it has to be modified to be able to sit to quilt! Their stitch quality is not as good, the stitches are not equal in length when using the regulator, they get smaller as you come to a point. I could go on and on and on..........

Just after the Christmas quilting rush, earlier mentioned aquaintance asked me if my hands hurt.... I said from what? Her response..... all the quilting and gripping the handles.... Well, that right there should tell you pretty much.;)

Oh, yea, I forgot to mention the wheels. How cool is it that we can make adjustments to our wheels and carriages so the machine will just glide. That is awesome. Can you tell I love my machine?

Archived