Okay! So I just got an ...........

Thanks for letting me know, Heidi. I ordered around 1am this morning. I got the Studio Cutter and the Bread and Butter starter kit for 20% off for around $1,200. Now, just a few hours later I see it for 25% off. I contacted Accuquilt customer support and was told that they could not adjust my order to apply the extra 5% off (representing around $75). I explained that I could cancel the order and re-order for the 25% but that seemed like a waste of time/effort when we are talking about a $1K order. They told me that the only way would be to cancel my order. So I did. 

They need to work on their customer service a bit. I guess it is good to know these things up front with a company before I shell out $1K with them. BLEH!

Angela that is awful that they wouldn't adjust the order.  Just my 2 cents worth on the bread and butter kits make sure they are ones you will use.  I love all the strip dies and prefer the ones that cut more over less.  I also would rather have the triangles that are multiple on a board vs the singles.  I don't order the squares because if I have the strip die I can just turn it and cut them all in to squares.  You can also mark your strips to cut 45, 60 or 90 degree blocks as well.  Just food for thought.

i purchased my cutter and dies a couple years back...and did not get the bread and butter sets either. i chose the 5", 10" and 10-1/2" squares that have multiple cuts. I also got the large and small tumblers, and the drunkards path that cuts a layer cake. i didn't get the strip dies...but think i should get the 2-1/2". that would be the one i would use more often. I also have chisel. 

i use my 10-1/2 squares the most as i build scrappy backs and can easily count how many squares i need to make a back. 

Before you order at 25% off, check their math! Many of the ones I checked were showing the sale price at 20% off, not 25%.

Angela, I've only used the Dresden fan die so far. It came in a bundle I ordered with my cutter. It's the Studio Top Selling Die Set. http://www.accuquilt.com/studio-shop/die-bundles/studio-top-selling-die-set.html

Of course, it's now Out Of Stock, as are many of the dies I wanted to order. It seems they don't keep a lot of stock of any one thing on hand, and I don't suppose the sale prices will apply to the out of stock items.

I just checked some of the patterns I want to make, and most call for 2 1/2" or 1 1/2" strips. Checking your patterns would probably be a good place for you to start. I've since ordered some applique dies on E-Bay and Amazon.com. There is quite a price difference, and one of the sellers on E-Bay even has free shipping.

If you want a die that will make a quilt very quickly, check out the Take 5 die. It has all 5 pieces for the 12" block on one die. Layer 10 different fabrics and you'd have 10 mix and match blocks cut in seconds. I've made several batik quilts with a pattern very similar to this, and they are gorgeous. They make great gifts or donation quilts and use up some stash very quickly.

I have almost all of the strip dies and use those the most.  I also use the half square triangles a ton.  I want to order more of the bigger boards for those but I'm not at home right now so I can't check to see which ones I have in the multiple sets.  I have the take 5 and yes it is wonderful to cut up a scrappy quilt very quickly.  I have the 10" and 8" block sets but don't find that I use all those single pieces near as much as I use the strip dies.  

Angela, cancel your order and reorder at 25% off. I'm not crazy about their customer support, but they stand behind their product well.

I bought the bread and butter dies too and I really can't say I've used them. My suggestion is to start with a 2.5 strip cutter. I use it constantly. Then I bought some more strip sizes because they make easy borders and they can be turned to make squares and diamonds. I also like the 5" charms and 10" layer cakes sizes. Then I went crazy and bought all sorts of stuff I love...like the Drunkards Path, Winding Ways and Take Five...circles...custom dies...I can't even name them all, but I love them. LOL.

I almost didn't post the sale notice because I knew you just bought yours and I always feel so "jipped" if I buy something then the next day they put it on sale. Most companies will work with you on it and a few will even tell you the sale is coming up. Especially when you spend in the "thousand" territory. I really thought they would give you the sale price. I paid full price on mine and I think it went on sale within a month so I sort of understood them not giving me the sale price, but they could have told me it was going on sale that quickly. I haven't regretted my purchase even at full price. It's a great little machine.

AccuCut is their "sister" site. It's more for scrapbooking and paper, but their dies will cut fabric and work with our Studio Cutter. They have sales all the time too. Lots of neat stuff.

Angela, I'm with Heidi. I don't think the bread & butter sets are the best to start with unless you know you'll use those shapes a lot. I bought the 12" set with my cutter, and I can't say I use it all that much. What I do use is the strip cutters, and the applique dies I bought. I do lots of applique work, and it make cutting the leaf and flower shapes soooo much easier and less tedious. I wish I had gotten the 10" layer cake dies with my original order, and the 1.5" strip in my next purchase. I don't at all regret my purchase, it has definitely made a huge difference in my cutting time.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the heft of the studio cutter but, of course, the price of the regular Go cutter is better. Is the only difference between them the number of layers of fabric that can be cut at once?

Angela - The gearing in the Studio is much more robust than the Go and makes it super easy peasy to cut multiple layers with very little effort. :)  If you've tried the Go - don't compare it to how the Studio works, you need to use one to realise how great the difference is.  

You can have custom dies made for the studio (not for the Go) - I've had several done and its very easy.  Price is similar to the regular dies.

Much more variety in sizes with the Studio and I like that you get one size per die - eg - circle - the Go die has x3 sizes of circles (2", 3" and 5") on the same die so you have to fiddle if you only want one of those, but the Studio dies are separate, so if you only want 3" circles - you just buy that die.  

I bought both the Go and the Studio cutters, but quickly sold the Go, and they brought out the adapter tray so I can cut all the Go dies on the big cutter anyway  :)

Watch Accuquilt for their Daily Deals - there are some great deals with that.  You can set up a wishlist, so when those particular ones come on sale - the price will change to red and you can jump in with an order  ;)

I'm with Ani, I liked my Go Cutter, but LOVE my Studio cutter. You hardly need any effort at all to turn the handle.

My biggest gripe is the cost of postage for the Dies to the UK. My kids gave me a 75$ gift card, so I put it towards the log cabin die. It nearly cost me as much again for postage and then another £36 for import and VAT charges my end.

Ani , have you found a rise in the cost of postage ?

I treated myself to the Studio cutter/Bread and Butter set, and added 1 1/2 and 6 1/2 inch strip sets. I hope I didn't make a mistake ordering the bread and butter set! But when I added up squares, half squares and strips individually, the bread and butter set was a better deal. I'm anxious to get it and already have a project in mind!

Archived