Question about stuff for "running" fabric

HI!  What is the name of the stuff you can put into your washer when you wash a quilt that has potential bleeding problems?  I need to give my customer a heads up on the quilt I am working on.  It is red and white.  I was using a damp white wash cloth to wipe off my marks off the red and it left red marks on the wash cloth!!  thanks for any help.

Sorry Linda I was busy playing with Kailey!  LOL  It was bed time soon so she was ready to go home.  She basically puts herself to bed when it is time and she likes her schedule.  She will let you know when it is lunch time, nap time, dinner time and bed time.  I'm loving her pieces while I'm here!  

OK onto the synthrapol, no it shouldn't matter that the quilt is all together.  Just tell her to let it drain and not try to lift it when it is soaking wet without supporting the weight of the quilt.  I usually let it soak, drain, rinse and then throw it in the washer to spin out.  

Ditto, Louise!  I had one customer with an antique quilt I had quilted for her.  It was red and white of course, and bled really bad when she washed it.  She called to tell me what happened (in tears), and ask for advise.  I told her not to dry it and to bring it over and I would try to "get the red out".  I figured I couldn't make it any worse.  Well, I washed it in synthropol with color catchers 5 times.  Each time about 50% of the red came out of the white until it was gone.  Made a believer out of me! 

Archived