In a couple of days my husband and I will be leaving the sunny skies of Alberta for two weeks under the sunny skies of Oahu, where we've never been.  Needless to say, I'll be looking for quilt/fabric stores!  Any suggestions or recommendations? I don't know if we'll go to any other islands or not, but all information is welcome.  Thanks so much.

Barbara

Love the beautiful Hawaiian fabrics and Hawaiian applique!  

Question: The Hawaiian applique patterns I bought recommended folding and ironing the fabric into a 1/8 circle, cutting through all layers and then basting it on.  Has anyone traced the cut lines on the top fabric and longarm basted the two layers together.  I have pondered longarm basting 1/2" back from the cut line and then cutting as I applique and turning it under to my basting line.   Really need some advice from those of you who have done these bed size Hawaiian applique.

Thanks,

Barbara,

I went to Maui about 2 years ago and there was a quilt shop in the hotel we were in. They gave me a 2 hour lesson on Hawaiian quilting by hand for free. I cam home with lots of goodies and great information. I found everyone helpful and nice. Have a wonderful time and make sure to leave room in your suitcase.

Best Wishes

Sandy

There are two shops with quilting fabrics in Honolulu...both in Kaimuki...The Calico Cat & Kaimuki Dry Goods.  There are also a couple of fabric warehouses (can't remember their names but someone from Oahu will speak up).  They have some quilting fabric and lots of Hawaiian prints but take care as many of the Hawaiian fabrics are all or part polyester.  Enjoy your trip!

We went about 3 years back and enjoyed the experience completely.  We walked to a fabric shop that had about 3 foot high letters that just said FABRIC in bright red.  Half the shop was 100% cotton and half was cotton/ploy blend.  I bought several yards but haven't done anything with it yet.  We stayed on the Hale Koa compound and it was something else!!!!  We had a mile of the beach all to ourselves!  There is much to see and do.. Take the busses to down town so you can see it all!  It is not expensive and will save your feet and legs (the first day we walked from the Hale Koa downtown!!!  One morning was spent at Pearl Harbor, so sad.  We really felt like we had seen the island before we left!  Enjoy!  Take plenty of sun block, a hat, and sunglasses!!!!  I fried from wind burn. Eek!

I was at that "FABRIC" store years ago, Sylvia! And a great recommendation to try the bus service. A day's worth of travel was very inexpensive and we made it to the Bishop Museum--where you'll see many colonial-era Hawaiian quilts used as backdrops in the glass display cases.

I understand there are no real quilt shops on Oahu anymore (could be wrong about that as I haven't been in years), but Kaimuki Dry goods should still have nice fabric.  

If you want quilt shops, come to the Big Island, we have several beautiful ones: Quilt Passions and Fabric Gift Shoppe in Kailua-Kona, Kimura Fabrics in Kainaliu, Pahala Quilting in Pahala, Kilauea Kreations in Volcano Village, Kilauea Kreations 2 and Fabric Impressions in Hilo, and Topstitch in Waimea.

For Heidi P: I have done quite a few Hawaiian quilts.  I think it would be hard to baste down the appliques by machine, because they have to be fairly precise & usually have some narrow parts, but you could try.  I do baste the completed tops to the batt & back, for hand quilting, & that works great; I do this for customers also.

Archived